Ceriatone (or Marshall) 2061x owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gasp100, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

Anyone have the Ceriatone Lead/Bass amp (2061x clone)? Or, even the handwired Marshall 2061x reissue? I grabbed one off of the bay last night. It's a 20 watter but this one has a 1/2 switch to get it down to 10 watts. No MV (which is a little scarey) but I've found a great formula for late night playing using the AxeFX as a virtual pedal board to hit the front end, sounds sweet. I'm hoping it works well with this amp too.
    How is the breakup on this amp on the lead side?
    I know many people dig the TMB, but I've heard the Lead / Bass is supposed to be even a little "cleaner" / better note seperation (maybe less stuff to get in the way)?
    Are both channels pretty useable? Lead side as dirty rhythm, edge of breakup, more grind and high grind with a clean boost. Bass channel cleaner, not TOO dark?
    I can't find any clips of the Ceriatone but I dig the clips of the Marshall 2061x RI a lot. Thanks!

2. BPSUL

BPSUL Member

Im very interested in this. The local craigslist has one for sale - im interested in how dirty the thing will get (in other words, how soon will it breakup in 10 watt mode - will I still be breaking windows at that point or is it managable?)

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

FWIW the 10 watt mode was an add on that the seller had put it by Nik. It's not standard on all of them; I will report back once the amp is in house early next week. I am prepared to put pedals in front (when playing at very low volumes) and I'm also scoping out the Ultimate Attenuator for medium level volumes which might end up being a must for this amp.

4. Birdy

Birdy Member

Looking forward to your review of this !

5. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

The 2061s are hot little tone machines that I will definitely buy in the near future. My drummer bought one and I used it for a variety of practices and found near perfect settings without pedals. I used it primarily with a Tele at half volume and half on the tone knobs, really thumped through the matching 2061 2x12 cab. With that setup it was a true 'use the guitar volume knob to drive the amp' feel. When I put a fuzz in front it was a great driver and sounded HUGE! With a Les Paul it broke up faster and more aggressive, but not unpleasant and still manageable. The UA may be good for a small venue.