Ceriatone or ...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by npirt.89, Oct 7, 2008.

1. npirt.89

npirt.89 Member

I am in the process of purchasing a high end amp, and a friend of mine introduced me to Ceriatone. I have heard lots of good stuff about Nik and ceriatone but also heard a few bad things. I'm interested in the Matchless Lightning clone...but looking at the cost with shipping and a head/cabinet it would be close to $1200ish.
    That is a great deal compared to a real Matchless, but i'm also interested in Dr. Z and bad cats. Should I spend that much on a clone, or buy a used amp for about the same price?

I am still saving up so i wouldn't buy something for a few months. I have a 68 Deluxe Reverb that i love, but am looking for something different. I don't know how close the Lightning clone is to a real Matchless. I know it isn't going to be 100% but it should be close.

2. Ryan

Ryan Member

Ceriatone is legit, and Nik is a great guy. You can't go wrong!

3. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Nik and Ceriatone get lots of love here. I haven't heard or experienced anything bad at all from him. Quick response to emails, quality products. I love my OTS. Half the price of any US builder I was able to find.

4. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Ceriatone is top quality stuff. Just remember, most if not all of Nik's amps are handwired.
    You have to really look at the features of the different amps and think about more of what you are looking for. While Ceriatone represents a great value on a well built new amp, the features of some of other amps you mentioned may be more of what you need.

5. SkydogFan81

SkydogFan81 Supporting Member

yep yep

6. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

What bad things have you heard. He usually gets pretty good reviews here. I guess the only downside I can think of would be the shipping prices.

7. iwanthelp

iwanthelp Member

Used to be very fashionable to bash him and his products here.... but I think all the issues are sorted... there has been a sea change which is great, he's a lovely guy who will answer any questions you have and sort you out....

that said if your willing to spend $1200 I would probably try and get something that isn't a clone because of resale values and such..... That's not to say don't go with Nik if you intend to build the kit yourself and he's got what you want you can really get a bargin

8. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

9. studiodunn

studiodunn Member

Not knocking Nik at all, but try spending your money here first.
    The economy sucks and spending $1200 overseas does not help. There are plenty of builders doing great work here in the same general price range.

The used market is really diving down and should make owning any of the amps you mentioned possible.

10. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

Personally, I think you'd be better off getting a used Lightning. It wouldn't be that much more than what you would spend on a copy and it will hold its value.

Bryan

11. beachwail

beachwail Member

I'd consider used stuff by these builders:

Valvetech
    Tophat
    Dr. Z

12. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would buy another amp from Nik in a heart beat. You would be better off getting the cab locally though. Might want to grab tubes too.

Nik does some great work at ANY price.

dk

13. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

No kidding. Get the real thing, used. They pop up in the emporium frequently. It will sound better, and hold it's value better.

14. auraelux

auraelux Member

Ceriatone is right up there with Rondomusic in the "How does He do it?!!!!!" factor. And his lightning clone is one of his best, to the point where I think buying the Matchless would be buying the name. Not to mention the Matchless is waaaaaaay more expensive.

15. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

There's a used '94 1x12" on gbase for $1700. I'm sure you could find one cheaper if you hunted. To me, that isn't "waaaaaaay more expensive," I see it as paying a fair price for the original.

Bryan

16. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Nik is fantastic to deal with and highly recommended.

17. npirt.89

npirt.89 Member

Thanks guys. looks like there are a lot of ceriatone fans! i need to go play a real matchless lightning and compare it to a few other amps...but if i end up loving it i'd have to go with ceriatone because of how expensive matchless can be!
    Thanks for the help!

I play mostly worship music in church, so i need something that can be pretty versatile. I need chimey cleans and i use mainly a fulldrive 2 for overdrive. Lots of delay...
    Is the lightning a good match? as i was saying...i need to try one out..

18. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

Cant go wrong with the ceriatone :D :D

19. Balance

Balance Member

Another vote for looking for a used Lightning. Nothing against Nick, but as others have already mentioned, your resale would be better and you'd get Matchless's take on Matchless rather than someone else's.

20. mcinku

mcinku Member

I own three amps from Nik, I just ordered another one and I sold all "production" amps I had.

I don't care about resale value 'cause these amps are here to stay.;)