Ceriatone Overtone: cleans and with pedals?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bluelew, Aug 7, 2008.

1. bluelew

bluelew Member

Been reading a lot about this amp. The overdrive clips I have heard sound great. Any opinions on the clean sound- what does it sound like or what does it compare to? How does the Ceriatone take pedals? I have a Fender HRD and a Fuchs Bassman mod. I like the cleans on both of these. The HRD takes pedals well. The Fuchs has trouble with high gain pedals. Hoping maybe the OTS would take pedals better.

2. Steven_nl

Steven_nl Member

Hi I have an OTS. I LOVE the cleans. You can get a nice sprarkle without it being harsh (I use g12-65-heritage speakers). A good Jazz tone is possible as well. If you like the OD sound you'll love the cleans.

I do feel using an overdrive can be a bit tricky. I use a Wampler Exstacy Dirve and I get a nice tone but you need to do some dialing.
    On the whole the OTS is an amp you need to spend some time with to get your sound right. Very sensitive to the guitar you're using.

3. bluelew

bluelew Member

Thanks! Any other opinions/comparisons with regard to cleans and pedals?

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I just got mine, and have only been on stage with it once. Sounded great with my pedal board. I don't count bedroom volumes, as it is difficult to hear all the dynamics. So far I am pleased.

5. DOMINIC

DOMINIC Member

I'm tired of hearing Robben/Carlton type clips of the amp..how bought something different?....maybe some SRV or John Mayer...is that so bad?

6. bluelew

bluelew Member

Totally agreed. Would like to hear some sweet cleans and maybe something with a high gain pedal to see if it mushes out or retains note definition.

7. bluelew

bluelew Member

any other opinions/comparisons?

8. scottl

scottl Member

My friend is bringing over his OTS in a couple of hours.

But first, let's bust this myth that different amps that all share the same basic Dumble topography somehow take pedals differently. They don't. Same thing. You may have differences in pot tapers or tubes, but they all should take pedals about the same.

The Fuchs mod may have less headroom and a little less bandwidth though. A production one would be a little more dynamic on the cleans.

However, there are variations from the compainies that use different topographies than say the OTS, and that could effect things. Amps like a TR Classic Reverb or Mayer, Bluesmasters from TR, Bludo, Brownnote, and HRM amps since they have no feedback on V1.

I'll report on how the OTS sounds. It is coming here since something doesn't sound right and I have to fix it. Fwiw, the owner is also bringing his Red Iron T-Rex. Should be fun!

9. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

Scott, will this be the first time you get to see and hear the OTS? I'm really interested in your opinions both good and bad. It's important to also get the approximate build date as their have been changes.

Mine is currently in DHL's hands and should arrive at my doorstep by Tuesday I would think. Nik must be BUSY as my build took 13 or 14 weeks.

Jim

10. scottl

scottl Member

Yep... First time. Should be interesting.

11. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i've posted clean clips of it on my youtube site. It's got an incredible clean sound. Better than many of the dumble clones I've played. Not quite in the same league with the two rock though for cleans.

12. scottl

scottl Member

Jack, you have not played any current production amps from any of the companies. The newest Fuchs sound much more open than the older ones. Also, you have no experience with Brownnote, Glaswerks, or Bludo. Unless you directly compare the amps, you can't form any opinions. Just saying.... I do think the loop in your Fuchs mod was squashing things. Plus it used much more shielded cable with lots of loss of highs.

Now it is possible that the Classic Reverb or Mayer have a slightly different stack or topography. Haven't played or seen them.

The CR Sig I had here was in no way more open or breathy than the others. Nice amp just not any better on the cleans, IMHO. I'll leave it at that.

13. AlexF

AlexF Member

For me, the OTS is nowhere near as good as a blackface fender, say a super reverb or a twin, or even a bassman reissue for cleans. It lacks the sparkle, depth and the 'personality' for want of a better description. Just my findings.
    Al

14. Bigtone

Bigtone Member

Jack ,I agree with the two rock cleans, I played a Custom reverb Sig, and it was the cleans that blew me away, The od , not so much, kinda rattled to much on the topend for me, but the cleans were killer, had this really cool compression that just squeezed the notes out, The best cleans I have heard out of all the clones I've tried, Bigtone

15. crosse79

crosse79 Member

It takes my Menatone Fish Factory well. I haven't tried the rest of the other amps - so I can't comment on them.

16. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Now Scott, I'm gonna have to blow the dog whistle on you here.:)

You've had plenty of opinions on the Overtone without having heard it....to the point of recommending modifications to make what you never heard sound more like what you thought you would have liked to hear, but still never heard before or after mods!

At least now you will finally hear some version of the real thing. Looking forward to your thoughts, while I'm backing out mods.;)

FWIW, I also like the Overtone cleans better than the D types I've used including a recent Fuchs ODS50SLX HT and a TR Custom Reverb. It still doesn't measure up to the gold standard of a good BF Fender clean though, IMHO. No, I have not compared it with your latest amps either but like Jack, my opinion is based on what I have heard.

17. JimmyD

JimmyD Member

That's why in an earlier post I mentioned, "It's important to also get the approximate build date as their have been changes."

18. scottl

scottl Member

The Ceriatone sounded like ass when it arrived. Some was build related and some was the tubes. Nik did not tube it.

The tone was raspy and it really did not even remotely compare to my other amps. So, we opened her up. First I put in some Winged C outputs and some EH preamp tubes. I chose a specific PI tube and set the PI trimmer too. Kind of better. The amp arrived tubed with Sovtek 12AX7WB tubes and a horribly mismatched set of Svetlana New Sensor 6L6 tubes. 25ma and 38ma. Ouch. This was not installed by Ceriatone.

Still, there was something really wrong. Upon looking inside, I saw the issues. The tube socket lead dress was a disaster. The grid resistors on V1a and V2a and V2b were bent down, flush on the chassis sitting on the plate leads! V1a 22K grid resistor bare lead was actually touching the plate lead. Major no no..... I bent the resistors up in the air, away from the plates. Also, the PI leads were all on one another. I fanned them apart. The other minor issues were the bass pot cap was a .0012uf. This is pinched right off of the incorrect Dlite schematic. The amp has better articulation, imo, with the "correct" .001uf. The cap doesn't need to be a PS series OD. The PS is only available from CE has a .0012uf and that is why Brownnote used it. Not for tone. So, I replaced it with a .001uf. Lastly, the snubbers on V2 sound better as 330pf. The amp had 390pf installed. I replaced.

After all these mods, the amp sounded like a good Dumble style amp should. Fed back well and had a pleasing overall tonality. My Bludos sounded girthier and fuller but they are 100 watters. Plus the Bluesmaster really has the punch and texture. Personally I am not a big fan of 50 watters. I preferred the deeper harmonic textures of the Glaswerks as well. I had no Fuchs 50 watt non HRM to compare, but the 30 was much smoother and singing, but less clean headroom. The 100HRM was much bigger on the bottom.

Pictures to follow. I already bent the resistor leads up in the pic and fanned the PI leads.

19. scottl

scottl Member

20. scottl

scottl Member