ceriatone overtone special demo/overview

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by jzucker, Apr 14, 2008.

1. marinblues

marinblues Member

Cool demo, Jack! How did you get the delay in there?

How do you like it?

thanks

Marin

2. scottl

scottl Member

Good stuff Jack. A couple of observations....

First off, I believe the boost is PAB. I other words, it breaks the bass pot from the treble pot. It is not the midboost which is something different. Usually accessed by flipping the deep switch (Dumble converted many from deep to midboost and used that switch). The midboost merely changes the treble cap size to something much larger.

Also, you may want to adjust the stack to something other than noon. That is not the usual position for what many find as their optimal tone. The tone was a bit honky and not very articulate. Were those the RWB speakers? Maybe move the mic a little more centered.... Was the delay in the loop? Or post production. If it was in the loop with no buffering, it could cause this.

I'll listen again from home on the nice monitors.

How is the amp in the room?? Does it compare well to the TR and the Fuchs mod?

3. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

delay/reverb added in software. Scott, what do you mean move the stack to something other than noon? You talking about an internal trimmer? Yes, those are RW&B speakers. Thanks for the comments!

4. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Very nice demo Jack. If your schedule permits, can you maybe do a supplement focusing on the cleans?

Thanks

Laz

5. scottl

scottl Member

I meant the clean tone controls. Noon is sort of high on the treble. Some Dumbles have an audio taper there, as does the TR. Setting a linear on noon can get kind of brash.... I like about 10 oclock fwiw....

6. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Nice job Jack....but I agree with Scott in that I'm not sure you've really optimized the amp and guitar with everything at noon. It's certainly a good starting point, but I think you could do better (as Scott suggests, noon on the treble is brash-9 or 10 o'clock is much nicer). Also, you can get some really great tones with the interaction between the PAB (and Scott is also correct about this being a tone stack bypass), the Deep switch, the Jazz/Rock switch, and the OD gain. IOW, if you are running in Rock mode, you may want to set things up differently than you would for Jazz WRT the OD gain and EQ. Likewise, if you go to PAB, you might find things sound better with the Deep on and Jazz mode, and/or the OD gain down.

This amp loves an EVM 12L too....

These were just some suggestions.....thanks for taking the time to do the review!:AOK

7. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Jack

Thanks for taking the time to put these demos together. Over the last few weeks you have gotten very good at describing what the equipment settings are that are giving the variations in your tone. I always enjoy hearing and watching you play.

This is much better than the Rockytop demo you first started with as you change settings on the amp and clearly let the viewer know what you are doing. I find these demos very useful in helping to evaluate the equipment in question.

I still would like to see and hear just the equipment being tested initially. My first thought on hearing the Ceriatone demo was - 'I didn't realize that amp had reverb'. Then, when I realized I was hearing reverb and delay, I knew I was not just hearing the tone of the amp. Two comments here:

First, while I realize many here use a lot of effects and like their tone better with a touch of reverb and delay especially, I, for one, do not use any offboard effects if I can help it.

Second, while I love hearing the reverb and delay, if they are not in the amp being tested, they are an added component and I would still like to hear the tone of the amp without them first. It is useful that you demo with them added later if you feel it is a really good sound you want to share, but I still need and want to hear the amp with only the tone it gets by itself with its incorporated features.

Your playing is very good and the tones you get sound great. Additionally it takes a focused effort to put these kinds of demos together and I think you are doing some of the best ones out there. I appreciate that they are on video and not just soundclips. The progress here has been excellent on some learning tools that I think there is a big interest in, so thanks again for your systematic work on these. Please keep it up.

8. Unburst

Unburst Member

Nice demo Jack.

I agree with Scott,, the mic position could use tweaking but for the first time I really felt like I was really getting an accurate demonstration of what the amp sounded like.
    Great job!

Nice tones too :thu:

9. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

OK - My comments here are from a user perspective, and I realize I am the only one participating so far with less than several thousand posts! So - feel free to pretty much disregard my comments as I am truly grateful that someone is doing this at all. :)

10. jzucker

11. toadcaller

toadcaller Member

Love your playin', Jack. First heard my Axe-Fx in one of your demos. Cheers,

Dan

12. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Looks like you enjoyed this one... and so did we!

:AOK:AOK

13. Unburst

Unburst Member

Your Hamer sounds awesome, Jack :AOK

14. Alpedra

Alpedra Member

Nice demos. Thanks...:)

You make some interesting faces while playing too :D

15. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Cool Jack...thanks for posting.

How about the loop? Do you need a Dumbleator type thingie? I get confused with all the Dumble lingo...post HTML, Pre PMS tone stack stuff.

Thanks!

16. jzucker

Yes, you need a dumbleator if you want to put pedals in the loop. Not sure about line level stuff. I want to try my axefx in the loop and see if that'll work without a dumbleator. There is a mosfet version of the dumbleator that a guy named Mike Klein designed and they are relatively cheap. (~$100-$150) and I have one on order which should arrive this week. Supposedly, it has very similar characteristics to the tube version but it runs off a boss power supply.

I tried my reverb pedal in the loop and lost some volume and tone from the amp so I think you really need a buffer in there.

17. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Jack,

Cool that you're demoing all of this stuff for us to check.
    Really well done. Looks, sounds great. Pro demo's.
    I still have a lot to learn about the Dumble style thing.
    Andy was funny in his post. I can relate.
    I'm glad that the D'Lite that I own is simple.
    Option anxiety could set in real easy with the choices some of these amps offer.
    Keep up the good work.

Chuck

18. Unburst

Unburst Member

I was too until I played one, they're pretty simple amps really.

19. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

Heh...well really all I know is that I've loved RF & Carlton from way back. I never gave it much thought except that they sound great through theirs(and anything else they play through) & they're way expensive. I never thought it was complicated at all but TGP endless threads about the trimpots & who ripped who's design & what name can you call it etc..would have you think otherwise. Hey I think I'm digressing.:dude

Nice job Jack!