Ceriatone Overtone Special - to HRM or not to HRM?

Discussion in 'Gear Demo Videos & Sound Clips Archive' started by marinblues, Sep 28, 2008.

1. marinblues

marinblues Member

I've been getting a lot of email about how do the HRM version of the Overtone compares with the no-HRM version, so I recorded this clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZhobscGmO0

Here are the 2 amps played with the same setting on the guitar and the effects. It not easy to set the same tone on both amp, since the HRM has 2 mid boost switches and a few "custom" knobs at the back. The non-HRM's "midrange" falls somewhere between these two settings, so its tough to get a the same tone on both. That why I left more treble on the HRM clip so iut would eventually balance out with the "Deep" switch on.Here's the clip, let me know what you think.

thanks for watching. :)

Marin

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Man, the nonHRM tone you are getting is exactly why I bought my Ceriatone OTS. Just wonderful. The HRM sounds brighter to my ears, maybe a bit more articulate. Enjoyed the playing.

3. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

where do you get your back tracks?

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Nice job Marin!

It's pretty easy to hear the difference between the two in your clip. Personally, I prefer the non-HRM tone.

5. marinblues

marinblues Member

I left more treble on the HRM to counteract the "Deep" switch which is plugged in towards the end. Perhaps I could have left the treble a lit lower. Hower, it adds this "articulation" as you say. thanks.

From the good people on this forum.

For a thick, rich, out-of-the-box great lead sound, I would agree with you. The HRM has a lot of knobs so maybe the shortcoming is the guy who is using them! :D thanks

Marin

6. jockman

jockman Member

Non HRM for me, great tone, and nice playing.

7. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

I finally have proof by this video comparison. The Non-HRM is still tops in my book. I has the smoother more vocal mids and is easier on the ears. I don't think you could tweak the HRM to my liking. The Tokai ES-335 and the Non-HRM amp is still your "SiG" tone Marin.:D

8. tequilaboy85

tequilaboy85 Member

I love how the Non-HRM sounds with that 335.Very big and smooth.
    Sometime we should organize something:I would love to play yours Ceriatones and to compare them to my Fuchs ODS and my other D style amp.

9. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

Both good. Different - but good in their own ways.

10. rocketman223

rocketman223 Member

I like the sound of the amp. May have to look harder at those products.

11. ChickenLover

ChickenLover Member

Great job marin! Nice playing!

Question: Did you have the PAB ON or OFF on the HRM amp? I assume it was OFF for the non-HRM...correct? I only ask because the OD on HRM amps typically sounds better (which is subjective of course) with PAB ON...but of course that cuts a lot of bass and thins the tone.

Ciao!

12. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

They both sound great! I actually think the HRM sounds a little more versatile from your demo. Are you using some kind of Dumbleator (outboard effects loop) for the echo? Thanks again for posting the videos, great demo!

13. marinblues

marinblues Member

I re-listened my clip and I have read some comments and perhaps I didn't do much justice to the HRM. The reason is that I set up (very quickly) the way I would set up the non-HRM - which is not the right thing to do, since the tone stacks are different.

I will record something now to show the different "nature" of the HRM. Don't judge the playing since I have just come back home from work! :)

Chickenlover: I think that I had the PAB on but I wouldn't place a bet on it
    jads57: I use the Axe-Fx and it works real nice. The effects are transparent and it does a good job at recovering the signal in the loop. I have a Kleinulator, but I don't need it with the Axe-Fx.

Marin

14. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I just looked up the Axe Fx, it costs more than the Overtone! I used to use an old Lexicon PCM 60 digital reverb in the loop of my old Dumble OD Special, and it seem to work fine as well. Must of had some kind of preamp buffer unit built into it. By the way, are those 50 watt versions you have? Thanks again, John D.

15. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

call me crazy, but i liked the HRM better.

16. Jet Troop

Jet Troop Supporting Member

I think both clips are great but I liked the non-HRM version better. Great playing. Makes me want to get one. Can you post the backing track?

17. marinblues

marinblues Member

Jads57: I am clearly underutilizing the Axe-Fx here. I bought it mainly for direct recording, but it work great in an amp loop as well. For a touch of delay and reverb, I think that your Lexicon or a TC Gmajor will work just fine.

thanks. Do a search in the "Members Soundclips" section looking for "Tata Jam" from Anton (username: RedAnt).

Marin

18. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Marin- I'm assuming that non-HRM is still the original non-modified OTS version, correct?

19. marinblues

marinblues Member

absolutely.