Ceriatone Overtone Special

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 0din, Feb 9, 2008.

1. 0din

0din Member

So what's the deal with this amp? I would expect it to be more popular consideringt it appears to be a Dumble clone for under $1K. I'm interested, but don't know anything about the company or amps.

Is the circuit a copy of a Dumble ODS or is it someone's interpretation of a Dumble ODS?

Does it have the HRM mod?

How does it sound in person?

Are the components high quality?

Does Ceriatone do good, clean work in wiring the amps?

Anyone here have one, and if so what do you think?

2. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Go to www.ceriatoneforum.com and look it up under Overtone Special. There are some clips and discussion there. As a former Dumble owner , it sounds just like one to me.

3. Raymund

Raymund Member

I donĀ“t have the Overtone Special but several Ceriatone amps (18 Watt TMB, DC-30, Champ) and his compnents are top quality. Nik is a great guy taking care of every special request and responding fast.

Ceriatone is from Malaysia and absolutely recommendable.

4. marinblues

marinblues Member

Hey really? I have an Overtone, but I have never played a Dumble.

It is certainly a fine amp.

I did a few demo clips of it which I posted in another thread. I

http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=JVMBqGOfIdI
    http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=ufzim7FFBAE
    http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=kUTQ3AGazsE
    http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=X3hqfYw5uQ4

Also, fellow member Sami (username:spm) has a few nice clips posted here too.

Marin

5. wbfree

wbfree Member

First-hey Jad57-I bought my mesa from you-going good I hope.

Marin-I recognize you from the Robben Ford sight those are nice clips and I am glad you posted them, I am going to sell my Mesa 5:50 it is not doing it for me. Do you lkie the clean tone, can you drive this amp into harmonics at higher gain settings or does it fizz out or stay articulate.

I think I remember you had an Engl which is high gain but not necessarily my cup of tea except for being able to drive it hard into feedback which is something I want. Not the greatest guitar player but I know where I want to go with tone. Can you Share your thoughts or anyone else can chime in. And again nice playing.

6. marinblues

marinblues Member

Hi,

It took me about 10 hours to get used to this amp. There is a lot of difference between it and the Engl. To make the transition worse, I bought a new cab for it too (with e new speaker) so I needed to get used to that too.

There is no comparison in the quality of the OD of the Overtone with respect to the Engl. Basically, the Engl can come close to the Overtone only is I use my Banzai Fireball II pedal (great little thing). The Engl is a fantastic all-in-one combo which serves its purpose. The Overtone is probably more my piece of cake.

I have began using the Overtone by putting the gain at almost 80% (remember, there are 2 knobs to adjust the gain and a boost switch) and then I reduce to desired gain pulling down the volume knob.

The first clip was recorded using this setting. I like that tone best so far.

I initially had a bad tube in V1 which I replaced with another bad tube and its was a bit fuzzy. I have now put one of the original Tungsols in V1 and and the amp just came alive. Also, I learning how to tame the volume so I can play it a home. I also need to learn the relation between what I am hearing and what is being picked up by the SM57, since I hate using headphones.

The cleans are nice, they are fullbodied and warm. By tweaking the knobs, you can also get a thin, funky sound. Very versatile. However, at the moment, I prefer to use the OD channel and just back off the volume. I can sound very jazzy with a hollowbody too.

thanks

M.

7. AlexF

AlexF Member

They sound pretty fantastic on the youtube clips, backed up by all the stuff I'm hearing. So good in fact, mine's on order :)
    Al

8. wbfree

wbfree Member

Marin, Thanks for reply. I posted this next question on your other thread about the bottom end, is it good, my amp is too boxy-don't know a better way to describe it. Have you used single coils with it. I have a frankenstrat with Kinmans.
    And I love Robben Fords playing and his tone. and I play just like him-NOT 707. He is such a great musician.
    Thx
    Burnei

9. Peter van Dorst

Peter van Dorst Member

Hi Marin,

I emailed with Nik and he said I could choose between a 220 or 240 v version. Maybe a stupid question but I read somewhere that the voltage in Europe was 220 and is since a few years gradually raised to 230.
    Do you have a 220 or 240 version?
    Peter

10. marinblues

marinblues Member

I have a 220V, although I don't think it makes a lot difference. Here explained:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity

Marin

11. wbfree

wbfree Member

I didn't get the question answered about single coils with this amp, so, anyone have any info?
    I am going to order one but it has to sound good with my strat-ooh man Marin I like that tone, I just hope singles sound that good, I am really in love with my frankenstrat.

12. marinblues

marinblues Member

On one of the clips I posted, I am using a single coil guitar.

M.

13. wbfree

wbfree Member

Thanks Marin-appreciated:BEER

14. wbfree

wbfree Member

Marin, I would add, if I have not said it before, nice playing, and at what volume are you playing. I have to assume that it can't be all that loud, am I correct?

15. crosse79

crosse79 Member

I have played the Overtone on a Strat for quite a while. It sounds really really nice. No doubt about it. It is true what they say about getting a great amp and a great guitar and you're all set. The Overtone will not dissappoint with a single coil guitar - in fact it will suprise ;)

16. wbfree

wbfree Member

Thanks for that, makes me happy, I love my frankenstrat. I have not ordered one yet, but am pretty sure I will, always subject to change.

17. mlj_gear

mlj_gear Member

One of the reasons that it may not be talked about more is because Nik decided not to put it out at one point (long story). Not everyone knows it's back.

18. crosse79

crosse79 Member

Yup Yup - it's back :) :)

19. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

20. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

I have one due any time soon myself.