Ceriatone Overtone vs. Fuchs ODS, anyone have comparison experience?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ripoffriffs, Jul 8, 2008.

1. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Amps based on the Dumble tone. With huge price variation between the American based builders vs. the overseas Ceriatone. Does anyone have experience with comparing the Ceriatone over the Fuchs or any of the US based Dumble clones?

Please don't turn this into another "Dumble is overpriced and over rated" thread. There's plenty of that already and we've read all positions & arguments ad neaseum. If boutique builders can make a living selling Marshall clones (Aiken, Germino, etc.) or Fender clones (Victoria, Dr Z), then builders can make Dumble clones too.

Just interested in people's experience with the cheaper Ceriatone vs. the more expensive US amps.

2. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

I owned two original ODS Dumbles, a Fuchs ODS30 and a Ceriatone Overtone without the mods that circulated here on the Gearpage.
    The clean channels on all amps sounded terrific, while the Fuchs had as you might expect the lowest headroom due to its lower wattage. The overdrive channels of the Fuchs and the Ceriatone were not to my liking. They were however, if my memory serves me right, very similar to one of my Dumbles. The other Dumble had a richer and more singing overdrive quality despites the fact that it was a 100 watt version and of course very loud. Interestingly I achieved some favourable overdrive sounds with the clean channel of the Fuchs and the Ceriatone in combination with a Blackstone MosFET overdrive. The Fuchs sounded a little midrangier and pleasingly more compressed compared to the Ceriatone which has probably to do with the lower power 6V6 tubes output stage. From everything that I have heard about the improvement results that people achieved with the Ceriatone mods, I have to say that the Ceriatone is for sure a hell of a deal.
    Rene

3. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I've owned a TR Custom Reverb, two Fuchs mods, a really great ODS30 hand tuned by Scott (before it was called hand tuning;)), a recent ODS50SLX hand tuned by Scott, a D'lite 33, and an early Ceriatone OTS (pre and post mods).

Of those, the two that stood the test of ownership over time were the ODS30 and the Overtone, independent of price. Between those two I find myself going to the Overtone these days. It just is easier for me to dial in and seems to have a wider range of sweet spots at different levels and different guitars. So at least until I hear Scott's latest acquisitions;), that's my personal favorite.

I do like the built in reverb and loop buffer in the ODS, but I like the overall tone of the OTS a bit better for both clean and OD. I also like the fact that Andy is fairly close for ODS service or mods, but OTOH I like the fact that Nik is very responsive and the OTS is so easy to work on that I really don't need to send it anywhere.

Since amps are really a personal preference, my suggestion is to try as many as you can in person. There are so many variables involved that it's impossible to predict what you will really like in the end. Don't let price be the only factor and make sure you add in all the costs...shipping, loop buffer, delay/verb unit, cabinets, footswitch configuration, etc. The difference may not be as great as it seems at first glance. I'll be the first to admit I bought the Overtone based on price..... but I'm keeping it based on tone.

4. NFB

NFB Senior Member

I fully agree with your last sentence, " I have to say that the Ceriatone is for sure a hell of a deal. "

5. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Where can I find info on these Ceriatone Mods?

I must say I have learned a lot about the U.S. history of amplifiers (aside from the Marshall british history) by reading up on Dumble amps and examining pics of Dumble ODS from various websites. I now understand where Mesa Boogie got their Bright and Deep switches and other doo dads in their early Mark series amps.

Are these early Mark series amps supposed to be copying a Dumble?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  6. duanesworld

duanesworld Member

check ceriatoneforum.com for mods.

7. roadapple

roadapple Member

Unless you're rich, go for the Ceriatone Overtone Special or the Overtone Special S&M.....

You'll save up to $3000, but you don't have reverb or an active effects loop (a passive one instead). Trust me, for $3000 you can buy a Klein-ulator and a good reverb pedal!!!!

I used to own a Fuch's ODS and now own an OTS.

Word.