Ceriatone Plexi 50 '1987' amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wntbtw, Feb 23, 2009.

1. wntbtw

wntbtw Supporting Member

Hi! Would like to know if anyone owns one of these Ceriatone '1987' 50w amps. I`m thinking of ordering one as I once owned a brand new`73 Marshall '1987' 50w and it was so nice! And I`m hoping that the Ceriatone`s version of it is a good nice re-creation of it, so any thoughts, opinions, etc you might have will be greatly appreciated by me. Thanks for reading this and for any help you can give to me.

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

It's a very nice amp. Quite gainy though. Breaks up very early (about 2 with humbuckers) which may of course be just fine with you !

3. wntbtw

wntbtw Supporting Member

Thank you. My `73 started to sound great at '4' [11 o'clock] w/ humbuckers and there was no need to go any louder, so '2' sounds interesting! Any other input?

4. Swampsnake

Swampsnake Member

Yup...Got one myself and love it. When I first got it, I thought I was going to be swapping out the Mallory caps and OT transformer and putting in Zosa's and a Heyboer OT but I was happy with the sound through a 4x12 heritage greenback loaded cab. It stands right up there with my Metro 50watter and my original 50watter from '74. All three sound slightly different from one another but so did a lot of the old Marshalls but not to where I felt I needed to change anything. I do have Mullard preamp tubes in V1 of all my heads and Seimens EL34 power tubes though and that is definitely an upgrade from the newer modern tubes.

5. wntbtw

wntbtw Supporting Member

Hey! Thanks for your reply--that is very helpful info! And I see that it`s your 1st post--real cool! Welcome--this is a great place for sure! Thanks again.

6. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

I've had one for about a year...awesome amp. Make sure you get Nik to add the PPIMV..well worth the $35.
    These sound wonderful when pared with Scumbacks.

7. wntbtw

wntbtw Supporting Member

Hi! Thanks very much for your help. I have exchanged emails with Nik and like everyone says, he`s very helpful! And I`ve heard nothing but great things about his amps which is cool! I do want to order one--I`m just not sure about adding the PPIMV because i`m afraid that the PPMIV might/will change the 'dynamic tone' and characteristic of their JMP '1987' amp. I really want it to sound like a JMP 50w '1987' and not become a JCM 800 '2204' w/ the added PPIMV--so that is my fear concerning the added PPIMV. I once owned a brand new `73 JMP '1987' that sounded so nice--however the volume needed to be 'cranked' to '4' [11 0'clock] to get that nice Marshall distortion/overdrive. Before '4' it was pretty clean, but it had to pretty loud to get that natural distortion.

How loud did you have to get yours?--I guess that the PPIMV allowed yours to distort at a lower volumes. I already have a JCM 800 single channel combo [#4010] w/ both the 'pre amp' and added PPIMV. I just would want for the Ceriatone 'Plexi 50w' to sound like the original Marshall 50w and not like a JCM 800 w/ the added PPMIV.

Thanks again for your help!

8. hamfist

hamfist Member

The PPIMV does not tonally change the amp into an 800. If you don't like the subtle tonal changes that using the PPIMV has, then just leave the PPIMV on 10, it's effectively out of the circuit then.
    I do think, you will appreciate the volume control it gives you though. It won't give you the best tone at TV volumes, but it will certainly allow you to get great tone at lower volumes than without it.

If you sell the amp on, it will also make it much more saleable with a PPIMV I suspect.

9. Mattyc146

Mattyc146 Member

I too am from Baltimore. Who is selling? If you dont buy it I will!