Ceriatone Plexi clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dstroud, Feb 7, 2008.

1. dstroud

dstroud Member

Did this last night goofin' with my Ceriatone plexi and my tubescreamer - this was just 1 sm 57 on my cab, I'm gonna experiment with using 2 mics, a 57 and a condensor at a distance, but here it is close up

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25668

2. radcliff

radcliff Member

Sounds like a good classic plexi!

3. trazan

trazan Member

That was a Tubescreamer? It actually sounded kinda Trainwreckish :)

4. dstroud

dstroud Member

thanks, this is my 1st Plexi type amp, I'm wishing I went this route a long time ago!

5. dstroud

dstroud Member

Thanks! Yeah, the Tubescreamer is boosting the Plexi, but the Plexi has a master volume, so most the dirt comes from the Plexi. I don't know that much about Trainwreck, except they're mega expensive. I'll have to find some clips!

6. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

thats sounds pretty nice . I personally set my gear to have the fattest juiciest mids , I thought the sound was leaning towards sounding a little peaky but would have good cut in a band mix.

Id like to hear you playing something soulful on the neck pickup instead of the piddlee piddlee stuff in the clip......could you do that and post a clip ?

Bryan

7. dstroud

dstroud Member

You might like this better - same amp and setup. Some licks on the neck pickup, but I do gravitate to the piddlee piddlee eventually :)

http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25364

8. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

I was right about how how that amp sits in a mix.
    Enjoyed up to 2 mins 20 and then I think you lost it, you listen to gary moore by any chance darren ?

The music up to 2 min 20 had structure and it complimented the backing , unfortunately after 2 min 20 it just went off and did its own thing. Really enjoyed your clippage and ill certainly lend an ear to clips you put up for a listen.....cheers darren.

Bryan:BEER

9. dstroud

dstroud Member

thanks Bryan, I'm definitley going backwards into the blues (Metal head 1st, then blues).

10. donbarzini

donbarzini Supporting Member

:RoCkIn :dude

11. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I got a CeriaTone 50 watter Plexi on route to my home right now. Can't wait to get it.

Nice playing!

12. dstroud

dstroud Member

Thanks man, you're gonna have some fun :BEER!

13. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Member

How do you find it compares to your JCM800 tonewise?

14. dstroud

dstroud Member

Wow, the differences are obvious, but hard to explain, but I'll try. It's more in the feel of the amps - the Plexi is more out front - I'm wondering if that's the Mercury transformer. The 800 has a stock transformer, which I'm thinking of changing to a Mercury to see if that gives it more of the Plexi feel. I can make a clip of both so you can hear it. EQ wise, there is a low mid/smoothness in the Plexi, that I don't get with the 800 - the 800 is maybe a bit scooped in an area the plexi accentuates. When I play the plexi, I feel more "connected" to the sound that's coming out. That's about the best I can explain at this point.

15. BryanMatthews

BryanMatthews Member

Those ceriatone amps just seem to offer unbelievable bang for the buck, id sure love to try a 1986 superbass head if they made such a thing.

Bryan

16. dstroud

dstroud Member

I'm pretty sure they make those.

17. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

Nice stuff and very inspiring. I have that exact same amp.
    Tell me what your settings are on this clip please. :BEER

And why kind of PUs in your guitar?

18. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Member

So it sounds like you prefer the Plexi to the JCM800... interesting.

I owned a reissue Marshall 1987X when I got my '82 JCM800 2204. I ended up selling the Plexi because the JCM800 was just slightly more open sounding. Of course a Marshall RI isn't the Ceriatone, and I'm guessing the Ceriatone sounds better than the RI Marshall anyway.

19. dstroud

dstroud Member

Thanks, I got treble and mids at 10, bass at 3, presence at 5, using hi channel only, volume at 10, master volume is about 6 - very loud! I did use a tubescreamer too, level at 10, tone and dist at 3. Pickup is a Seymour Duncan Distortion in bridge, Dirmazio Virtual Vintage 2.2 in neck. This amp is modded - I got it from Ceriatone without transformers - I used Mercury Magnetics. I replaced the caps with Sozo's, and there are a few preamp mods that voice the amp a little darker than normal. It's a cross between a 1987 and a JTM45.

20. dstroud

dstroud Member

Yeah I prefer the Plexi. If you check the post I just posted, you'll see I did mod this plexi is a bit. I was a customer of Roy Blankenship and he was kind enough to point me in a couple of directions as I was putting the amp together - that definitely helped!