Ceriatone Son of Yeti vs Friedman PT-20 vs Marshall Studio vs...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Stikoun, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Sirloin

Sirloin Member

For clean to mean with guitar volume control and maybe a boost to push it over the top, the Ceriatone 2202 makes more sense to me than the SOY.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  2. Stikoun

Stikoun Member

It seems your have experience with both the SOY and the 2202. How would you describe the difference between the two?

Also, what about my worries that the FX loop might not work so well? One of the bands I pay in has some songs that call for heavy delay use, so I need to be able to do that.

3. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

If those were my options, Ceriatone.
    The Son of Yeti is quite an aggressive amp..

4. wntbtw

wntbtw Supporting Member

Even though I haven`t played a Ceriatone 2202, I can somewhat agree w/ Sirloin concerning the Ceriatone choices as the 2202 is a simpler circuit than the Yeti imho. When I first contacted Nik at Ceriatone 18 months ago about the SOY my main question was 'does it sound like a single channel JCM 800?' & his answer was 'no' which surprised me, but now, 18 months later of 'fiddling' with all of the tone, gain, & voicing options on the 20w Yeti [SOY] I understand his answer to me back in early 2018. To me [my opinion] the SOY`s basic tone is more of the NMV 'Plexi' tone when the 3-way voicing ERA is set in the 'Plexi' mode [which is the loudest of the 3 voicings--the other 2 have more gain added which makes them have 'hot-rodded' tones]. It is just a one channel amp & it does not have the capability to switch to another 'voice' or setting other than manually which then would require adjusting the EQ esp. the 6 different 'Brite' tones as well as the 2 'Gain' controls etc. So even though it is a 1 channel amp it has many different tones & gain settings available. However, for 'live' playing it can work well in the 'Plexi' setting, adjusted to your desired tone & then maybe an added OD pedal for extra saturation & overdrive. The 2 'Brite' switches are also involved as there are 6 different settings between the 2. It is a great amp & has so many different tones & levels of gain but they all have to be 'pre-set' & then it`s time to play! The 20w Ceriatone 2202 is just more of a 'straight forward' rock amp imho. However I like my 20w Yeti so much that a few months ago I had Nik custom-build me a 20w Chupacabra!
    [​IMG]

JK1965, Zado and ur2funky like this.
  5. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

That. The other 2 settings on the SoY just add diode clipping, that's why the volume difference is pronounced. I've had both, the SOY got sold fast, and I just bought a 2nd 2202 so.....

Also, the Friedman DSM should be on your list. Biggest sounding small amp I've heard. Less metal and more classic than the PT, but it still has gobs of gain if you want it. IMO cleans up better with touch and volume knob than the PT and sounds bigger at lower volumes. More versatile in stock form than the PT.

ur2funky likes this.
  6. Kelly

Kelly Member

Depends on the budget, but I prefer to have a little more power. A 20 watt amp isn't really quiter than a 40-50 watter with a master volume. Fryette and Friedman stuff would be my first choice for gainy stuff, and I'm sure the new Suhr Pete Thorn amp is great (but I haven't tried it yet).
    I love ceriatone amps, but not a fan of jose style amps in general. I'd rather have a plexi, and use pedals, than a diode clipping amp.

7. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

Nice.. I didn't know you could get a mini Chupacabra. Which of those two can do this hot rodded plexi tone best?

Vaibhav Joshi, wntbtw and bman5150us like this.
  8. wntbtw

wntbtw Supporting Member

The 20w Chupacabra would get closer than the 20w Yeti but I believe that Ceriatone makes better amps for those tones & their prices are very affordable as well as free shipping to the US thru their US dealer. I don`t understand all the hate for Ceraitone [esp. for the SOY]--they certainly are not boutique amp company. They make 80 different models of so many popular amps--what other amp company does that?!?
    Check this out @Jchrisf:
    http://www.ceriatone.com/series/model/hot-rodded-plexi/

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Vaibhav Joshi and Jchrisf like this.
  9. straightblues

straightblues Member

It can be aggressive but it doesn't have to be. It is a very flexible amp. I tend to use mine mostly for tones associated with JTM or Plexi as opposed to over the top modded Marshall tones. But it is nice to have them for those times I want to use them.

Vaibhav Joshi and wntbtw like this.
  10. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Yeah, I think the Son of Yeti is more Plexi kind.
    The AH series are the hot rodded Marshalls I believe, more aggressive. :aok

wntbtw likes this.
  11. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

That's what I would think about the two having heard (on YT) both of the higher watt versions. The Chupacabra always sounded thicker and better to me. Does the 20 Chupacabra have enough thump and punch at quieter and louder bedroom volumes?

12. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

It's funny when people toss around the term "plexi" but don't really understand what it means. Thanks EVH.

Most of the amps mentioned above are 2204 variants modded to various degrees, not Plexi variants. Unless you want to call it that because a 2204 is Marshall's variant of a one wire mod Plexi, but then, we could start calling all that stuff a '59 bassman variant if we want to go down that road.

darkbluemurder and Sirloin like this.
  13. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

I always thought I was a JCM 800 guy because I love 80s hard rock and hair metal but as I started trying amps I realized I like the thicker tone of a hot rodded plexi. Those tones are harder to find IMO for a bedroom player like me.

14. Sirloin

Sirloin Member

a 2203 JCM 800 IS a hot rodded Plexi

15. Elric

Elric Member

What about a Splawn Supersport? I have kind of been looking at those a little lately.

Jchrisf likes this.
  16. Jchrisf

Jchrisf Member

Good to know... but I've always thought they were a little bright from what I have heard. I've never played one though.

17. Sirloin

Sirloin Member

Bright cap on the gain. Run the gain low, they are bright. Higher up you set the gain=less bright.

Jchrisf likes this.
  18. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Sort of. Basically it's like this:

- a JTM45 is a 59 Bassman. The difference is that V1 is a 12AX7 instead of a 12AY7 and the global negative feedback is larger due to the fact that Marshall cabinets were 16 ohms and the Bassman's speakers are wired for 2 ohms.
    - a Plexi (50W = 1987, 100W = 1959) - roughly speaking - is a JTM 45 with EL34 tubes (ignoring the brief KT66 period here), the bright channel trimmed in the low end and further low end trimmed in the phase inverter by using smaller coupling caps. The term "Plexi" orginated from the plexiglass front panels the amps had at that time. Later the front panels became the gold anodized aluminum.
    - then the techs started cascading the two halves of V1 in the Plexi (aka one wire mod) to get more gain and added a master volume to make the increased gain manageable.
    - then Marshall themselves made a cascaded version but reduced the amplification of the second stage (the 2203/04 models). These amps also had master volumes. There was also one model where they just added a master volume but did not cascade the preamp but that was short-lived.

So both the one-wire mod and the 2203/04 have three gain stages plus a cathode follower in the preamp before the tone controls whereas the Bassman/JTM45/Plexi/1987/1959/SLP have only two gain stages.

Cheers Stephan

wntbtw likes this.
  19. Sirloin

Sirloin Member

my point is the JCM 800 2204/2203 is derived from the non master four hole Plexi 1987/1959 and yes earlier JTM 45.

When you look at the topology of most amps touting themselves as "Hot Rodded Plexis" today, they are basically tweaked versions of the 2204/2203 Circuit, not the 1987/1959. Friedmans, etc.

20. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Member

You're ignoring the most important question: How many angels can fit on the head of a pin?