ceriatone users chime in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by electronpirate, Feb 3, 2006.

1. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

So the 'Plexi on a budget' thread got me thinking. That JTM-45 looks sweet.

Those of you who play ceriatone, how are they? Damn is that price right for the chassis. I can probably get a head-cab at a decent price. $600 for a handwired JTM-45 clone minus cab? Don't know if I can pass that up?

How is the sound? Am I in real Marshall territory here?

EP

2. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Hopefully I will be able to tell you soon enough. I have a 36 watt chassis on the way. From what I understand, Nik's work is top notch, as are the components on the board. He has his transformers custom made to his specs. Don't let the Malaysia thing throw you off, his work is supposed to be great.

3. bushmill

bushmill Member

I bought an 18watt TMB, built by Nik, on Ebay and could not be happier! I was wary, but once I got it, and for the money I spent, was pleased as punch with the tone....I get a great 'on the edge' clean tone and the Marshall crunch is, well, the Marshall crunch...Running it with 2 Weber Ceramic Blue Pups and this one is a sweet match for my Hayseed 30....Once my new EL84's arrive from Watford she should be the champ! :AOK

4. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Got to let me know guitarded.

5. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

I was looking at the 5e3 chassis...looks awesome...anyone have one?

6. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

I'll post here as soon as I get it and check it out. I was more interested in the 36 watter over the plexi 50. The 36 watt has a half power switch, and never having owned an EL84 amp, I'm looking real forward to the extra chime and sparkle.

7. Reissueplayer

Reissueplayer Member

I've got a 50W Plexi from Ceriatone and I'm very happy with it. It projects the sound well and it's a lot better than most Marshalls made after 1973 that I've heard. You won't be dissapointed.

8. tybone

tybone Member

Ceriatone does the quality build. Boards, wire and components are top gear. I have been eyeballing a JTM 45 for a while. I know first hand that the 18 watt stuff is quite good.

9. bitsandvolts

bitsandvolts Member

His chassis work is top notch. He supplied my lightning chassis and I couldn't be happier!

10. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I used to own a Reinhardt TMB 36 watter. It was a neat little amp. I liked how you could run it as an 18 or 36 watter just by pulling a few tubes and changing the ipedance selector. In 36 watt form it was nearly loud as a 50 watt plexi.

11. TNO

TNO Member

Nik built a 5E3 chassis for me. FANTASTIC workmanship. The only issue is I didn't like his trannies at all. If you ask he can probably substitute a name brand.

12. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

That's the one that I have been looking at as well. Looks like a great bargain but the shipping from Malaysia (or wherever) is the killer).

13. guitarded_1

guitarded_1 Member

Yeah...but you have to keep in mind that Nik prices his amps accordingly to compensate for shipping costs. I am getting a complete, hand wired, custom designed amp chassis with tubes for $710. I have a used Marshall JTM45 head box in route for $150 shipped. That's a lot of amp for $860! :BEER

14. electronpirate

electronpirate Member

Well, it looks like a great deal. I'm pretty fired up!

EP

15. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

TNO,

I'm curious as to why you didn't like the Ceriatone trannies? Any particular reason?