Ceriatone worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jlott, Mar 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlott

jlott Member

I was looking at their site and the matchless clone dubbed the "muchle$$" does not seem to be that great of a deal when you add in a pair of blues, shipping and insurance bringing it to a little over $1500. I have seen dc30's $1800 on ebay before. So $300 savings for an asian amp that will lose over half its value before I even plug in one time. Not so great of a deal. I guess I will just wait for the real thing. I had heard people rave about them, but at those prices why on earth would anybody buy one?

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

Can't comment on Ceriatone but it's pretty rare to see a used DC-30 below $2k

3. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

$695 for a complete and new DC-30. If you find a Matchless for any less than 3 times that amount, let me know.

4. jlott

jlott Member

I am not an amp builder. The complete chassis and cab is $930 plus $500 for 2 blues, plus $250 for shipping and insurance. So $695? No over $1500

5. dspblues

The complete chassis with tubes, in working condition is $695. That's completely built. You don't need to be a builder.

You can get a cabinet and speakers here and not pay shipping from Malaysia. Depending on what you want and how crazy you go... you can get a head cab that will fir it for not a lot more money.

If you're set on saying how expensive it is... I'm not going to try to talk you out of it any further.

Good luck.

(edit)

Package 4 with head cabinet USD 845.00 25.0 kg Full working chassis, front and rear plate, tubes included. Fully assembled with head cabinet.

Or just get the head cab from Nik for a grand total of $845 + shipping.

6. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

You asked and answered your question in your original post. So what is it you are looking for, other than troll bait?

7. jlott

jlott Member

Combos only for me personally.

8. jlott

jlott Member

Charlie s I have only asked a few questions on forums an am always amazed at the jerk responses I get. There is one on every forum trying to sound superior and put others down. I was just looking for others opinions not smart ass comments but hey thats cool. At least it was a music question and not about divorce or profanity or any other topic not applying to music. I think dear abbey has a forum for that stuff!

9. chris_d

chris_d Member

Interesting. I see it as $850(700+150 for shipping) for a new head vs. a more realistic $2000 for a used Matchless head. A 2x12 Matchless on the other hand, i have not seen go for much less than $2400. Nik doesn't offer a 2x12 with speakers in it as far as i know, and it would be foolish IMO to ship a 2x12 cab from Malaysia to the US, anyhow.

Truly they are not for everyone. If you don't intend to build your own cab, you won't be saving as much money, for one thing. And if you want a real Matchless, you won't be getting one either. If you are just looking for a cheaper way to cop some of those sounds though, i think it is a fine deal that does a reasonable, even good, job of doing that.

Resale is totally a valid point for people concerned with that, as is the assertion that a "real " DC-30 sounds different than the Ceriatone version, as voiced by folks around here. I personally have never sold any of my gear, so i don't care about resale, and i am not quite so microscopically picky as to have too much of a problem with a difference in sound and response that is similar to the variation between different specimens of a large amp companies production. My ears aren't that golden, nor is my bank account, for sure.

Like i said, they are not for everyone. They are aimed more directly at the broke-ass DIYer than anything else, in my opinion. Lots of others are jumping in trying to get a bargain and they will save a bit initially, but i think the DIYers are the ones who can truly get the best deal out of it.

If you have the cash, then why wouldn't you spend it on the real thing? I know i would. Matchless actually strike me as a pretty o.k. deal for what they are, and how they sound, especially if you are not the type who is likely to be able to solder something similar together yourself.

-chris

10. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Your thread title is 'Ceriatone worth it?'

You then laid out why it is you thought that the Ceriatone was not worth it. If you think it's worth it, buy it. If you don't, pass. I'm not sure how others' answers to your question will change whether or not you think the amp is worth the money.

If you posted the question just to bash Ceriatone, then IMO it's troll bait.

11. dspblues

Maybe you should reconsider the way you ask your questions. I replied with the intent of helping you. I didn't see the Ceriatone costing $1500, but as you configured it, maybe it would be. I still think you can do better by having the cab built in the US.

Now, I've never seen a DC-30 in recent days in the 2k range. From what I've heard and seen, they are in the 3-4k range... especially if you want a sampson era Matchless.

If you do have your mind made up on Ceriatone, I really don't understand the point of your thread. For many, they are certainly worth it.

12. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I have not seen the same ebay deals . . . but if I could get a real Matchless with two Celestion Blues for $2k, I would jump on it! As others have pointed out, a Matchless HC30 (which is a head, which is what the Muchless copies) runs about $2K or better almost all the time. So the savings is more like at least a $1K. I have had a Matchless DC30, and two Black Cat 30R amps (a 2x12 combo, and now my current head and seperate 2x12 cab). I also have a Muchless.

I just did an A/B comparison with the Black Cat 30R with its BadCat 2x12 speaker cab, and the Muchless with another 2x12 cab loaded with a pair of Celestion Blues. After trying both channels of each amp at similar settings, I then swapped the speaker cabs around and did it all over again. I was a bit surprised to see that the Muchless was a bit darker each time. That means it was darker than the BadCat (which is voiced a bit darker than a real Matchless).

I guess if you did not have another BadCat or Matchless to compare the Muchless with, you would probably be happy. Doing the A/B showed me that the BadCat is the better amp for me. Is the BadCat a $1K better? At this point in my life, when it comes to amps, I'll pay double for better, but that would not have been the case a few years ago.

I'm saying that the Ceriatone Muchless is a very good bang for the buck, but not exactly a clone. [I also have a Ceriatone Expression, but I do not have a real Trainwreck to compare it with. In that case I'll settle for the Expression for $20K-$40K less.]

I have a Blueverb on order, which is supposed to out Fender a blackface Fender. The Blueverb demo amp was with me last week, and I did the A/B thing with the Blueverb and my '68 Twin Reverb, then again with the Blueverb and a '66 Princeton Reverb. I tried various speaker configurations, and the Blueverb was definitely worth paying extra for to me every time. :)

13. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Ceriatone makes exceptionally great amps. I just picked up Ceriatone Overtone, the quality and craftmanship are second to none. You will be hard pressed to find a DC-30 at the prices you stated.

14. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

Ceriatone amps are great amps for the bucks and quality is superb compared to ****** reissues that some companies make now

15. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

If you want Blue's you'll have to add $500 to the Matchless too...

16. bigroy

bigroy Member

Love mine, paid $840 used in a 2x12 combo cab. Had to add the spkrs. Worth it, IMO......

17. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

ceriatone is good bang for the buck and i'd say that, in particular regard to the DC30 'clone', that if one likes to use the amp clean and then uses pedals to get their OD sound, they will likely be happy.

if, on the other hand, U like to get the amp turned up and get the beauty of the sound of DC30 cranked out, go for the DC30. the difference between the two amps turned up is quite marked and, i dare say, anyone that has done this would be kicking themselves for not choosing the much more expensive matchless (if it is in their budget).

the ceriatone is really not a very accurate 'clone' of the DC30. pop open the ceriatone and U have most of the components mounted on a tag board. pop open the DC30 and virtually all of the signal carrying components are point to point w/ very few tag boards to be seen. it costs way more to build an amp like the matchless because of this as the components then often have to be oriented by ear to achieve optimal results. this could possibly be why the matchless sounds so glorious cranked out, whereas the ceriatone sounds decent.

18. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I think Ceriatone amps are a great value. I think Nik offers a great amp at a great price. I can't say enough about the 18watter I have, and the customer support is top notch. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with Ceriatone again. I plan to purchase a larger amp in the Future. Great stuff.

dk

19. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

I have done the cost analysis before and YES the Ceriatone IS a good deal in that the overwhelming majority agree its a great amp for the price, and you pretty much get the tone and ballpark of a great amp for an affordable price.

The negative IS as you stated - the resale. I would buy it if I was looking for a keeper on a budget to fill a hole in my sonic tool kit needs for a WORKNG MAN. If its part of a "collection" then just get the Matchless.

20. Kitarist

Kitarist Member

ceriatones are great amps for the price

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.