Ceriatone Yeti ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tritone 6, Feb 21, 2012.

1. tritone 6

tritone 6 Silver Supporting Member

Anyone own or have any experience with these?
    I have read all i can find, and very few clips...More of the chupacabra, which is also of interest to me. Any info or insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. tritone 6

3. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

Im interested as well in those amps and im in NY so if you get 1 i must play it :p

4. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Hey, I own a Yeti 100 watter.

Seriously a great amp if you want the gamut of Marshall tones in a single channel amp.

Dynamic, toneful and aggressive it can do any Marshall sound I've ever wanted and do it really well. It may be a seriously aggressive Jose modded amp but it nails a killer Plexi tone as well. I wanted to be able to play classic rock to Ozzy, VH, Maiden and modern Marshall metal and it easily nails this stuff.

It doesn't though do that super bright SLP tone if that is what you want (the chupa is prob better here as the Yeti is purposely less bright) but even through a darker Orange 4x12 it just freakin roars like...well...a Yeti! :rotflmao

It is freakin loud in Plexi mode but home level friendly (not not baby sleeping though) when the Jose switch is active.

I LOVE this amp. My kinda aggro vid on YT is the only Yeti vid I'm aware of...I've been trying to do a more laid back vid or two but time (and the ability to do this with a little volume) is not with me atm.

Straight up, it kills any modern Marshall IMHO that is priced even remotely closely and it's dirt cheap, hand wired and it should hold its value really well and last absolutely years. I compared it to a SLP reissue, a DSL, TSL and a JVM410H which I shopped for before taking the chance on this currently unleased amp (Nik told me it might be a better fit when I was about to buy a Chupa).

It also nails my old JCM800 and Dual Recto with ease. I got the sozo option with EL34s.

wntbtw likes this.
  5. tritone 6

wow...Axe-man- Thanks for all the info...It sounds very cool. I am very interested in this AND the Chupa. I will only be able to pick one though (for now...)

I'm thinking about maybe going with the 5O though. I live in an apartment.
    What did you mean when you said the Jose switch is active? and do you think the master really keeps it manageable for lower volumes w/out sacrificing too much tone?

Im not opposed to attenuators...i have used them before with 100 watters in here before, but i'd rather not if i don't need to. I know the 50 wont be much quieter, so i'd almost rather have the 100 for the headroom.

Anyway...Thanks so much for all the helpful insight and info....I really appreciate it.
    I will look out for some more of your clips!

and...Guitarfool, i will be happy to extend an invitation to ya if i get one before you do!

Thanks again guys!

6. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

No worries mate!

There is control called the Era switch which is the Jose clipping circuit and this when it's set to '80s' or 'modern' knocks a massive amount of volume out of the amp. For example 3 on Plexi mode with the gains both set at say 12noon is seriously loud where to get the same volume using the modern setting you would need to push the master to 2.30-3pm on the dial...so a major difference. This is just how it works and you have the benefit of a huge amount of taper to adjust your higher gain tones. Ultimately all settings are just as loud as each other but with these two modes mentioned you have to push the master to frankly crazy levels first. It feels quite odd initally and then you love it as you have such fine control of the gain volume.

I can get solid gain tones at home volume with the 100 watter though to be really honest, no 100w plexi style amp is happy without some volume. At ear plug/band volumes it is just wonderful.

So I guess if you're are looking for really accurate AC/DC kinda crunch, this is where the major volume is required (poweramp) and where an attenuator would work great. As for the gain tones...just get it loud and you are good to go, no attenuator needed to sound great...though naturally it keeps sounding better the more you push it but those tones are just there as soon as the amp starts opening up.

I ultimately don't think this is a good amp for baby sleeping playing as it sounds so choked it's not much fun but when you're playing by yourself, it would be hard to not love it...all IMHO anyway!

wntbtw likes this.
  7. skunx

skunx Member

The chupa I had was surprisingly quiet in 80's mode in 50 watts. I say go for the 100 watt in these amps.

8. tritone 6

so...if you had it to do over, you would get the 100?
    i'm seriously considering the Chupa too.

9. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

When you push the master really high in Jose mode, it's loud as crap though in Plexi mode it's similarly loud though way earlier on the dial.

I was burying a drummer with a 2x12 with ease when I pushed the master in modern mode. An easy solution to the volume drop issue is just place an EQ in the loop and push the level a little. It is then just as loud as the Plexi mode...I actually like the taper so...

If you want as much balls as possible, get the 100 watter (it also comes with Sozo's) but note what I wrote above about the power section etc and home usages...

wntbtw likes this.
  10. tritone 6

Thanks bro....I need more clips!!! :rockin

11. tritone 6

I would love to hear more thoughts on these amps....Im reading and listening to clips from a lot of amps. i would love to know how they compare.

Some look and sound great, but are way more expensive...Friedman, Carol Ann, Tophat, 65 Empire, Aiken, Fortin, Fargen, Reeves, Voodoo, Splawn.
    Ive even considered the 5150 III...the 50 watter. The 100 watt is way to big and heavy.
    Price is obviously a factor...but i would rather wait and keep saving than ending up with something sub-par or average.

I know there are a way more options out there, Im looking for something versatile, old school marshall to hot rodded with a good loop and the ability to get serviceable tones at lower volumes, but can crank when i need it to.

12. Guitarfool

Guitarfool Supporting Member

I had a Splawn Quick Rod 100 head and it was the LOUDEST amp i think i ever played, that SOB was not usable at home at all, (really wasnt) that i would say for sure, it wanted to be cranked

Proceed with caution on that 1

13. tritone 6

Thanks...that is good to know!

14. tritone 6

has anyone who owns or played either of the amps discussed here....compared them or owned a 5150 III?
    I have been reading and listening to a lot of clips. I am leaning towards the 5150 III mini 50 watter. I owned an original 5150 years ago and loved the Dirt Channel. However....the amp was way too loud for home use and way too big and heavy for gigging. I am older now and my back is certainly not stronger than it was 15 years ago.
    I also had no use for the clean channel. It seems like the newer 5150's have improved the clean and crunch tones.
    I havent played any of the newer 5150 models, not for a lack of looking....i just might have to drive a little further to try one out. I also dont think the mini's have hit the stores yet.
    I know some of you guys must have played both the 5150, and Yeti/Chubacabra.
    My main consideration for the 5150 III is the price, and i kinda know what it does. I can pick up one of these for under a grand....If anyone can throw another model/brand i am not thinking of in the price range of the 5150 to the 100 watt Ceriatone...please do!

15. wizard_23

wizard_23 Member

I just ordered one of these in the 100w...

And one of Nik's Hey What 103's with the OL mod to run in stereo with the Yeti.. Because, you know... A 100w Jose Mod style Marshall just isn't enough on it's own. :eek:

Should have them both in about 5 weeks. To say I'm a little bit excited at the prospect would be the understatement of the century.

Damn you though Axe Man, was hoping I'd be the only Yeti owner in Melbourne! :p

wntbtw likes this.
  16. tritone 6

the Hey What looks like a cool amp and a great compliment to the Yeti....What is the OL mod?

17. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

I still haven't had time to get a clip done...will try this week. Sick son, work, lots of stuff always gets in the way. I'll definitely see what I can do this week.

Well, I owned a 5150 combo with v30's and I extensively a/b'd them.

Straight up, the 5150 is WAY easier to play at home levels. I used to play it whilst my son was sleeping in the next room. It had a fantastic master volume and was loud as crap. Don't think I even turned it over 4 on the master! I could not without it sounding kinda choked, play the Yeti at baby sleeping levels. I've done it and it's ok but the difference when I can get everyone out of the house and/or put ear plugs in is just night and day.

The 5150 has 'that' sound. That mid heavy, aggro gain that is up front, saturated and snappy. It's not very nice feeling as it's so responsive and immediate and the sound can be kinda honky but it's really metal I guess...in a non scooped way. Plenty of gain but with pretty darn lowsy cleans and a very average mid gain sound. Cool metal amp IMHO.

The Yeti has nearly perfect feel for me personally. Just that right response where you don't have to pick hard like an Orange to get 'dynamics' nor is it immediate or stiff feeling. It's just right.

I found the Yeti to enough gain and it sounded plenty aggro in comparison. It can be very saturated but has this mid range cut to it...kind of a fullness/hugeness to it in the mids that works for me personally much better. It's like a metallic kerangy noise that just sounds killer IMHO.

The Yeti is also much more versitile with IMHO better, warmer cleans and hugely better mid gain/classic rock/metal tones. It's just like the history of Marshall in a single amp IMHO.

The 5150 III will have much better cleans (well more Fendery anyway) though if the mid/high gain is in any way similar to the older 5150 I/IIs and 6505/6506+ amps, the gain is more oriented to detuned metal and much less useful.

I sold my 5150 as whilst it was a killer metal amp, if I played loud, I much rather would play through the Yeti and 4x12 as it sounds massive and for drop D stuff (I don't really like to detune further) is sounds freakin amazing IMHO.

Ha! Another Yeti owner in Melbourne!

Fozzy on Melband came around to buy my old Orange PPC212 and I demo'd it with my Yeti...he asked some questions and 5 weeks later he took ownership of a Yeti 50watter. He said in his 27 years of playing that it's the best amp he's owned...possibly one of the cheaper amps as well!

Let us know what you think mate! The Hey Watt will be awesome as well.

My old guitar teacher has the dizzy and loves it...he even said that he's had Bad Cat owners come up to him after gigs to ask why their amps don't sound as good as the Ceriatone!

wntbtw likes this.
  18. tritone 6

Thanks Bro...were you talking about the 5150 III 50w Micro Head?
    This is the only model i am really interested in from the 5150 series.
    I might consider the 5150 III 100 watter full size head, but prefer the compact size/weight and lower wattage of the micro.

Thanks again Axe-Man-
    I have found all your posts on here very informative, and you have consistently stepped up and answered my questions.

cheers Mate!
    (had to try that...I'm a New Yorker! LOL)

19. frankajoerg

frankajoerg Member

hi guys!

Im gonna buy the Yeti but cant decide on whether to get the 50 or the 100w version of it!

the sound Im after is simply the insane rock tones of The Darkness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97IcMvkyw-Y

fast forward to the solo at 02:03... its the excact sound I hunt for:)

awesome guitar sound IMO and do you think the Yeti will be able to provide these kinda tones?

they use Marshall 1959 Superleads with Proco Rat whiteface for solos (Justin). Ts808 tubescreamers (Dan).

also, for smaller gigs (50-100 in the crowd) would the 100w be over the top without an attenuator?

20. wizard_23

wizard_23 Member

Hey there, pretty standard response but 50-100w is more about feel than actual volume. I had a 50w JCM800 of Nik's and now I have the 100w Yeti. I can't remember the JCM800 seeming much quieter! I quite enjoy the feel of the 100watter. It's got some fatness about it.

Congratulations by the way! I reckon you'll have no problems getting those tones and so many more with the Yeti.