Ceriatone???

ejkennedy

I'm super familiar with standard mass produced tube amps and smaller hand built operations that make great products. I've never even had a clone in front of me. If anyone owns or has owned a Ceriatone, please spill the beans. Thank you :) (yes . I just asked a question that probably has 1,000 threads of info on it, now carry on in life haha)

EJK

pbmw

I own two JTM45's
One has MM trannies and a buffered loop
The other has Marren tranies and no loop
Both have a PPIMV
Outstanding quality. Outstanding service.
I would have Zero hesitation calling Nic to build me another amp.

jhuse

Terrific quality and excellent customer service. I would absolutely buy from them again.

Diablo1

I have a Ceriatone kit clone of a DC30 that I built.
It's a very good quality kit.
The only problem of note with Ceriatone is that shipping is expensive from way over there to here.

oldschoolguy

Have you not seen a picture of a Ceriatone built by Nic, himself? They are meticulously put together. Mind you I'm not saying that a super neat build goes hand in hand always with superlative sound but I seem to lean that direction. if not anything, practically anybody could locate the problem if anything actually did go untoward as the builds are so straightforward. My advice if buying used would be to always make sure you bought one made by Ceriatone and not a kit put together by an unknown.

oldtelefart

Ceriatone have a great reputation for quality. Probably the best customer service/relations in the music biz, and amps that are beautifully put together.

If you're in the USA, Mexico or Canada, go to Ceriatone.net. (Save on shipping)

3th3r

The beans have already been spilled in about 1,000 threads before. There are no more beans to spill.

gmann

I've had a Marshall 1987 and a JTM50 clone. Several of my friends have had various Fender clones and one friend of mine has a Dumble clone. All the amps sounded great. The build quality is 2nd to none. I've talked and emailed Nik at various times and it's apparent he never sleeps. Some of the best customer svc I've ever witnessed. I'd do business again with him in a second and would recommend him to anyone.

Clyde Bisbee

Silver Supporting Member
I haven't spilled my beans on this topic yet. I have a Ceriatone TMB/ef86 chasis that I picked up on CL, had it shipped to me, then had Sourmash build me a vintage Marshal style small box head. I love it so far. It's a little on the bassy side, so I may change a cap/tranny here and there, but to my non-expert ears (other than countless hours listening to classic rock) this thing is pure vintage Marshall tone.

ac/dcfan87

Is ceriatone.net real? If so is the shipping cheaper to USA then it would be if I ordered from ceriatone.com? What is the purpose of this website?

Monotremata

Is ceriatone.net real? If so is the shipping cheaper to USA then it would be if I ordered from ceriatone.com? What is the purpose of this website?
Read the note on the front page.. Theyre an 'authorized dealer'.
Sounds like their just playing the middle man for us, but it does look a hell of a lot cheaper.. Theyve got the 50w Hiwatt head for $150 more then Ceriatone, but that INCLUDES shipping. If you order one from Nic, its $250 for shipping on top of the $1010 for a fully assembled head with tubes..

wyatt

Read the note on the front page.. Theyre an 'authorized dealer'.
Sounds like their just playing the middle man for us, but it does look a hell of a lot cheaper.. Theyve got the 50w Hiwatt head for $150 more then Ceriatone, but that INCLUDES shipping. If you order one from Nic, its $250 for shipping on top of the $1010 for a fully assembled head with tubes..
No...it's $187 via DHL, which I believe is what most people pick.

Grand savings...$37.

With either, you still have to pay the additional 4%-5% in import duty that will be due.

Monotremata

Wel thats a bit better. I didnt see DHL listed on his shipping list.. I just went with UPS which was the first column and cheapest choice listed.. Maybe I missed it.

I noticed that note about the customs though at ceriatone.net.. So the UPS man shows up and wants another $50 for your amp when he brings it?? Can I just stab him and hide him under the couch instead??

ac/dcfan87

They really have to figure out how to make it easier for US customers, which involves a lot of guitar players out there, with money to spend.

They're hurting their potential profits and they scare a lot of their potential customers with the high shipping costs and the note about no refunds for ANY reason.

Yes, I know how economics works so don't give me that speech. I'm already ready for it. I've taken economics and I am an accountant, so I am financially literate.

But I still think there is something that could be done, provided that Nic wants to put forward the investment. If they could get these things down just to maybe $1000, shipped to your door, along with functioning refund/return policy, they'd clean up.

What happens when you spend all that money for the amp and shipping from freakin Malaysia and it's damaged during shipping? Or in a couple weeks at a gig a component fails and you're SOL? That's what scares me.

Otherwise I'd do it.

Idk.. I'm just thinking out loud

T Wilcox

I have ordered from both Nik at Ceriatone and from the ceriatone.net site. If you want to customize your order at all you will probably be better off ordering directly from Nik as he will be able to add options such as PPIMV, 1/2 power etc,.
For a $1000 order to the US expect a bill from UPS for approx $20 a few weeks after shipment.
I would recommend ceriatone to anyone, they are great amps.

Todd

ac/dcfan87

Maybe I'm being too picky. Still these things scare me, especially spending this kind of money. It's almost like I find it hard to believe that a hand wired tube amp can make it here safe and sound from Malaysia.

I may pull the trigger on one someday. If I do it'll be a plexi 50 lead spec, maybe the '68 circuit.

ejkennedy

Maybe I'm being too picky. Still these things scare me, especially spending this kind of money. It's almost like I find it hard to believe that a hand wired tube amp can make it here safe and sound from Malaysia.

I may pull the trigger on one someday. If I do it'll be a plexi 50 lead spec, maybe the '68 circuit.
The what ifs on shipping and delivery apply to any amp shipped from anywhere at anytime. The USA is not exactly exempt from bad deliveries and damaged goods. Whether its from 2 hours away or a world away it seems your worries still apply. Imho

Diablo1

But I still think there is something that could be done, provided that Nic wants to put forward the investment. If they could get these things down just to maybe $1000, shipped to your door, along with functioning refund/return policy, they'd clean up.

What happens when you spend all that money for the amp and shipping from freakin Malaysia and it's damaged during shipping? Or in a couple weeks at a gig a component fails and you're SOL? That's what scares me.

Otherwise I'd do it.

Idk.. I'm just thinking out loud
That's why building their kit makes sense. I know it works when it's finished, and if it doesn't, I know how to fix it. So, if you don't want to build it yourself, find a good local amp builder. I'm sure you can find someone to build it for around $300 labor. And if there's a problem, you take it back to your builder for repair. No doubt, Nik builds a good amp, but he can't provide warranty service because of the long distance. However, in the unlikely event you have a problem with one of his builds, you could pay for the repair at a local repair shop. He provides online layouts for all his amps, so any good technician/builder should be able to fix it. Because of the layouts he uses, they are very easy amps to service. I'd have no qualms about repairing an amp that Nik built.

Trending Topics