Chafin Targa has arrived

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Boomdoggy, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Boomdoggy

Boomdoggy Supporting Member

Just got it yesterday.The most incredible guitar I have ever played.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is no way any picture I take can show how incredible this guitar looks.For me,it is perfect in every way.I have a '59 in the neck and Pearly Gate in the bridge.They sound incredible.The coil splitters give an amazing single coil tone.I have had guitars with the same pu's and a splitter before and they didn't sound anything like this.Ben is truly one of the best builders anywhere .You guys should check one out.

2. Boomdoggy

Here are some better pics of my Ember .This is the guitar that started me on Ben's guitars.Absolutely amazing as well.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. danhops

danhops Member

Sweet axes bro. I really dig that natural finish. Maybe I should've done that with my Targa.

4. Boomdoggy

I don't know Danny,you got a beauty.I would love to spend a day or two with it.

5. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Great looking guitar, I see there are a few of these guitars listed on ebay. The yhave a buy it it Now of $699. Compared to the prices I have seen paid in reviews of these guitars its a dirt cheap price for a guitar of this quality. My question is are these really the same guitars or are they imports of a lesser quality. If not a import then these are a great bargain or a mistake on the dealers listing. What do you guys think.

6. danhops

danhops Member

They are imports that are on Ebay. That said, they are also said to be of very high quality. No veneers or anything like that.

7. Boomdoggy

The Volantes are Korean I believe.They seem to be doing very well.I am an "American only" guy ,but they do look nice.I believe Ben was very picky when it came to who was making them and how they were making them.

8. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

thanks that clears things up, The do look nice but, Chaflin guitars are not that well known. The probably are a great guitar but like all custom guitars the resale suffers unless they are know. If some one was to buy one of those imports as good as they my be and decided it was not for them the resale would be horrible.
    I personally would rather but a used one made from Chaflin. I have had a few imports and they are not keepers, They seem great athe time and then it wears off real quick,
    Just my opion but they do look real nice. And I guess they are not prices higher than most korean guitars out there so maybe they will do well if they can sell them in a few Guitar Centers.
    thanks

9. Boomdoggy

10. jtg116

jtg116 Too Many Guitars, Too Little Time

Well, I have to say if resale value is poor on these guitars, it might make them the no.1 guitar in terms of bang for the buck!

11. danhops

danhops Member

Brand new price on a USA model is less than most of the others I've had that are of similar quality/materials.

12. Boomdoggy

Dan,
    If I remember correctly,you once said you preferred your Ember over your Mcnaught.My memory isn't great so I could be wrong.Dan also makes a great point on the pricing.My Chafins are as good as it gets and they are more affordable than most of the bolt- on boutique guitars.I am not ripping on the other companies,but a massive price tag does not make a guitar better.

13. danhops

danhops Member

Not wrong at all. Different flavors, but I prefer the Ember. I like the Ember more than the Targa as well, but its close.

BTW, what color is you Targa back. It looks black in the pics.

14. Boomdoggy

Dan,I think it's a very,very dark brown.I remember Jay saying it would be trans black,but I still see brown.

What do you like better about your Ember?Here is how mine stack up.

Looks-slight advantage to the Targa.The natural just looks amazing to me.
    Sound-Slight advantage to Targa.I love the mini in the Ember,but the '59 in the Targa is my favorite.
    Play-Pretty much a wash.A little better upper access on the Targa ,but they both play great.
    Weight-The Targa is lighter

It is very close.

15. danhops

danhops Member

The Ember has a more unique sound to it. Its fat and juicy, while having a great bite. I cant really describe it, but the pickups and the guitar itself work really well together. I like the airy top end along wiht the muscle it packs. It's just one of those guitars you can get to sound so many different ways by just changing your technique just the slightest. I really work that guitar when I plug it in.

The Targa gets great sounds too, but it sounds familiar to me. I can get similar tones from other axes. Thats not a bad thing by any means. Its what I wanted this guitar to be. I'd say this is a more vintage sounding guitar to my ears.

16. Boomdoggy

All good points.The Ember really does have it's own thing going on.Danny,you should put some pics up of your Chafins.I never get tired of looking at them.

17. danhops

danhops Member

Didnt want to hijack your thread bro. here ya go

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Boomdoggy

Man,the top on my Ember is sweet,but yours is just flat out sick!!!

19. danhops

danhops Member

Thanks man. I gotta admit, I was blown away when I first opened the Embers case. I think the Targas top is just as nice, just different. I wish I could get a great pic of it, but the purple is a bit harder to photograph. Lots of reds and blues shooting out. Ben was right when he said the how wild it looked in person. The quilt is more of a tubular quilt, and would've looked amazing with a blue.

20. Boomdoggy

The Targa still looks great to me.Some guitars are about impossible to get good pics of.