Chain Link Fencing Pricing- Holy Smokes!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by MustardCap, Jul 18, 2019.

1. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

We lost our 4 yr old Cockapoo last week due to Coyotes. Kids put her out at 2 am which they know she is not to be left out at night. Anyways, pricing a 5 ft high chain link fence built off the garage with 1 gate and 80 ft of fencing is $ over 4K with tax. I have a few more bids coming in but $48 per linear foot is excessive IMO. Priced out a DIY kit at $750 with like materials. Shocked at what they are charging out here. Costs that high where you reside?

Scrapperz likes this.
  2. Scrapperz

Scrapperz Member

Sounds high to me. I think you could build a strong 6 foot white vinyl fence for less than half the 4K.

3. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Sorry for the loss of your pet. I hate to break it to you, but coyotes can easily jump a 5 ft high fence

4. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

We had a flash flood in December that wiped out about 50' of vinyl horse fencing with chain link. The estimate we went with was was $25/lf, but there was one estimate for twice that.

And yes, coyotes will easily jump that height. I've seen it with mine eyes.

5. Amplifier Owner

Amplifier Owner Member

Seems high - I did split rail with wire fence lining, about a hundred yards for 4K.

6. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

I'm guessing you would need something 8 ft or higher to keep coyotes from scaling it. Even then, if they can push off anything they will still be able to continue going up and over. They are very agile.
    Edit - YouTube has some evidence to support this

mango likes this.
  7. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

8. MustardCap

MustardCap Member

Maybe, but the dog would only use the space as a bathroom if it was let out at night. Doggy door to the bathroom off the garage only. Someone is always here 24/7--- just a little protection if someone puts it into the garage at night which has only happened a few times. Already have a pet door off the entrance into the garage. No coyotes during the day. Chicken wire over the top would end any problem but I doubt the necessity.
    Anyways, just shocked at the bid.

9. mango

mango Member

Was just going to post that vid with pretty much the same commentary.

Redub likes this.
  10. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

I did a lot of reading about this when I spotted 2 coyote in the area. A 5 foot fence would be a complete waste of money for the purpose of deterring coyote. I spent $5,000.00 on a 6' vinyl fence. I got it mostly so the neighbors chained up pitbull and my dog wouldn't be barking at each other all of the time. Coyote go over 6 foot fences easily too. Small dogs can be grabbed and gone in seconds. Not sure a coyote would jump a 6' fence to go after an 85 lb dog. Experts ???

I even looked at coyote rollers. I was pretty paranoid.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  11. Bobbybigbucks

Bobbybigbucks Gold Supporting Member

DIY, chain link fencing install is easy. Lots of advice and instruction on the webs. Get a small cement mixer at Harbor Freight. :aok