Chainsaw fuel bulb is sucking air.... How do I fix it?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by standard24, Apr 25, 2015.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

I don't think the bulb itself is cracked... I can hear a slurping sound inside the body of the saw. I suspect the fuel hose between the tank and the bulb may be cracked, because no fuel fills the bulb. (Does this sound right???)

Anyone fix one of these before? How do I replace the fuel line from the tank to the bulb? Should I go ahead and replace the bulb with a new one at the same time?

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Thanks!

2. BarkingTree

BarkingTree Member

3. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

you are most likely on the right track. I doubt there is a problem with the bulb, just a crack in the fuel line. Its a pretty cheap and simple fix if you go to your local repair guy and ask for a short length of fuel line.
    or on the flipside, it would probably only cost you the minimum bench charge plus a few bucks in parts to have them fix it.

4. Sneaky

Sneaky Member

I'd just take off the cover and see what's up. Clogged filter maybe? If it was a split in the fuel line it would probably be leaking.

5. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

I had to replace the bulb on my weedeater. Took less than 5 minutes.

6. Rumble

Rumble Instrumental Rocker Silver Supporting Member

How many TGP'ers does it take to screw in a fuel bulb?

sorry, couldn't resist :brick

7. roszatycki

roszatycki Member

Happened to me last year. Mine ended up being a crack in the fuel line. Hardware store near my home did the repair. They said the gas we use has 10% ethanol and dries out most rubber or plastic fuel lines. I have since switched to straight gasoline which is only available at a few places locally for me.

8. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Rumble, there are actually TGP'ers who do, or have done, this stuff for a living, you know.

OP- I've replaced quite a few of these, it's not difficult but it can be a bit tedious. Machines have differences in the way they are set up but generally speaking, the fuel line goes thru a rubber grommet into the tank. You have to take the grommet out, remove the fuel line from the grommet, observe the actual length of fuel hose and replace with an equal length. Be careful when you remove the grommet as they can sometimes split when removed from & then re-inserted into the tank (You have to pry it out then pry it back in). Also, sometimes there are two other lines which pass thru the same grommet and you need to be careful not to damage those. I'd go ahead & replace the fuel bulb also, just to be on the safe side.

You'll see that all of this can be tedious if you have large fingers! And as aynirar27 said, you can always take it to a small engine mechanic, it won't be a huge charge. Good luck to you. :)

9. cratz2

cratz2 Member

Three. One to ask the question, one to answer and (at least) one to heckle.

10. DICKIE C

DICKIE C Member

Excellent point, roszatycki. Defintely something to remember for preventative maintenance.