Chainsaws

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by teestone, Jan 18, 2015.

1. teestone

teestone Mostly Regular Member Silver Supporting Member

My old hand me down Poulan ain't cutting it anymore!

I need a good quality chainsaw for moderate to high use on our ranch. Lots of mesquite and oak to deal with out here.

Stihl, Husky, Echo, Dolmar, Solo...

What say you TGP'ers?

2. playsarobin

playsarobin Results. Not excuses.

Stihl or echo.

I used stihls for 8-10 hours a day for a few weeks after hurricanes Rita and Ike came through gulf into southeast Texas. Pines, mostly. Never skipped a beat. I still own a stihl and it's never let me down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

Stihl is the standard.
    I know lot's of guys that dig Husky as well, so you can't go wrong with them either.
    Stihl just seems to have the most options for service and sales.

4. JMP99

JMP99 Member

This is TGP. Jonsered or bust!

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Stihl. I used that sucker 10 hours a day for two weeks straight after Hurricane Charlie blew down every other tree at out Florida places...then my neighbors used it everyday for a month or two after that. Still runs like new.

6. bgh

bgh Supporting Member

I have a Shindaiwa 488 that I have used for close to 15 years. Keep feeding it gas and keep plenty of oil for the chain. The only thing I ever did to it was get a longer chain and bar. I hand sharpen the blades. That thing is a workhorse.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  7. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

8. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

I have owned 4 different Stihl saws over the years, and they have all been awesome. None have ever failed me, but I've sold and upgraded here and there. I used to live on a 3 acre wooded lot, bordering a couple thousand acres of game lands. I cut a lot of wood in those days. I don't cut a lot these days, but my current saw, the 250c, is always fun to use.

9. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

with harder woods, you're going to want a touch more power and I'd recommend becoming a competent saw sharpener.

Stihls have never let me down. I see lots of Poulan going for cheap in garage sales here, and just behind them is the massive pool of 'consumer-grade' saws that Husqy has dumped on the market. Double check to make sure whatever saw you buy, you can get a replacement Oregon chain and bar. The bar is the limiting factor on many used saws out there, as they don't usually get the oil/maintenance they need and can slowly cause a saw to feel like it's 'done'.

10. RJLII

RJLII Member

I've got a pro grade Husqvarna that kicks ass. All my other yard gear is Stihl. As others have said, Stihl makes a great saw too. Toss a coin or pick the one that's the color you like. You can't go wrong with either

11. taez555

taez555 Member

12. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

See, in that other thread I referenced, I was the guy posting the Jackyl video!
    Saw them do that at the Cotton Club in Atlanta circa 1991.

13. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

If you are going to use it a bunch and depend on it working, then get the Stihl. Learn how to hand sharpen it and make sure you use quality gas and oil.

However I bought a saw for use at our lake place last year, and bought an Echo. A local shop was closing and I got a great deal on it. I've used it a few times in a year, mostly cleanup work and it does fine.

Either way, keep it sharp and use quality gas and oil. As with any two cycle engine, triple check that the gas you put in is actually the right gas for the engine.

14. Sirloin

Sirloin Supporting Member

15. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

We just got a new Husky 550XP with a 14" bar. Its a beast. Have an older Stihl with a 16" bar. Both do a great job. Newer Husky is considerably lighter and has faster gearing so cutting is quicker and leaves timber smoother. It's also so much lighter on fuel, easily 50% longer running time on same amount of fuel. It is 10-15 years newer though.

Most important thing with any chainsaw is to touch up sharpen everytime you use a tank of fuel, it'll stay much sharper and wear more evenly. It's also a quicker job done little and often. Both Stihl and Husky will work with oregon guide bars and chains over in the UK at least, don't see why they won't in the US.

16. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

I have a older Husqvarna anf a mid sized Stihl Farm Boss, and recently my local Big R farm & ranch store had the smaller Stihls on sale for $179 so I grabbed one. In Missouri I cut hardwood all the time but here I cut pinion, cedar, aspen, spruce and ponderosa pine. Old dry pinion crotches and knots are some dang hard cutting as are the older cedar. All three of my saws do a great job on it. My old Husky needs rebuilt, fuel has decomposed the plastic parts and the fuel system is not working right
    My Stihl Farm Boss, cut anything
    the new little Stihl, amazing how good it cuts and how light it is after handling the Farm Boss

17. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

I mentioned this earlier - and this is what my grandpa taught me 45 years ago. I have friends that make fun of me for doing this but a sharp saw works faster and is safer to operate. It only takes a couple of minutes to touch each link with a file once you get the hang of it. Get a file guide they work great.

18. respects1

respects1 Member

Jonsered 2171, Swedish excellence in chainsaws.

19. vandi

vandi Supporting Member

Stihl. Wife bought me one as a Valentine's day gift last year.... Best saw I have used in the last 15 years.

20. Wally Gator

Wally Gator Member

1983 Stihl handed down to me from my dad. I was there when he bought it new as an excited 14 year old. Only to find out he used the chainsaw and I split with the maul. Great football conditioning all through summer. Today it still cuts every summer just like it came from that Northern Michigan dealer.