• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Chair for tracking and mixing?

guitarded_1

Silver Supporting Member
I have been down this rabbit hole for a while now, with no clear options as of yet. I really don't NEED arms on the chair, or maybe I do??? But either way, I would like to find a sub $200 chair that I can both track guitar in (no arms or flip up arms) and mix in. Any recommendations? Thanks!

mixsit

I've gone to a used office furniture place here at least a few times over the years. Good deals on some solid chairs (unlike the same money for low ball offerings at a stationary store? -Got to have decent wheels for example.
Think this last one I just had to remove the arms.

guitarded_1

Silver Supporting Member
I've gone to a used office furniture place here at least a few times over the years. Good deals on some solid chairs (unlike the same money for low ball offerings at a stationary store? -Got to have decent wheels for example.
Think this last one I just had to remove the arms.
Good call. We have some huge used office furniture stores here in Atlanta. I'll check some out. Thanks.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
I got a Humanscale "Freedom Chair" back when there was a seller moving a whole bunch of them on ebay. I think it was $260 or so but the cheapest ones I see now are $600.

It's pretty cool because the arms can drop almost to seat level for playing, but pop right back up for other work.

Bob Womack

The SoundSeat with casters, mid back, and removable arms is a perfect fit for this application. They are handmade with leather upholstery and seats cut to allow you to play your instrument comfortably. We've got two in the house. More HERE.

Bob

Lone Bear

I can't vouch for this personally but Andy Wood uses one of these:
OFM Essentials Collection Racing Style Bonded Leather Gaming Chair
I think they're between $100 - $150.

MartinCliffe

I second the Roc n Soc throne idea. I have a few of these. I really wish the arms of my Herman Miller Aeron chair were either folding or removable. Its the one downside to an otherwise great (if expensive) chair. Most of the time I can get away with just putting them to the furthest down and back position, but it's not ideal.

Madsen

I've been thru a couple armless Drafting Chairs over the years. Very happy with em.

Digitalman

I’m a furniture snob. I went to college for industrial design and became an Eames and Bauhaus disciple. So I’m a huge fan of Herman Miller. I currently use a Sayl chair with arms.

Then a few years ago my office was stupidly tossing out a couple iconic Aeron chairs, so I rescued one. The Sayl chair is a bit more compact, and when I sit in the Aeron at home, I feel like I’m at the office.

Last edited:

stephenT

I've found i need a separate chair for tracking, the On Stage for playing acoustic guitar, also use it on some acoustic gigs,.. tho I had to take it to a welding shop to lower the foot rest ($10) and a "Boss Office Products Be Well Medical Spa Stool with Back" for mixing, etc. You can spend more for sure, but these work for me. I had a $350 "The Sound Seat", leather and cool but my butt slid on it, the Boss Office Be Well Medical Spa Stool works better, IMO.

Trending Topics