• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Challenge to TC: Standalone Digital Deluxe Memory Man

guitarfor1

Along the same vein as the viscous vibe and hypergravity vintage....a standalone digital recreation of the DMM circuit. Alter Ego is good, but I have to imagine a unit fully devoted to digitally recreating the circuit could get even closer to the classic sound which no copy has yet been able to master.

topo morto

The Viscous and Hypergravity are just yet more toneprint pedals... not devoted to any particular circuit (apart from the marketing!)

guitarfor1

Bummer, I thought they were doing component digital circuit modeling like the L6 Helix claims to do with amp circuits

guitarfor1

Well this is interesting, Tore's line in here seems pretty clear about the digital circuit modeling...however as topo morto pointed out the inclusion of the toneprint option makes it a bit confusing.
Hopefully someone from TC can chime in if a stand alone unit like the Viscous could focus more resources than one of the original toneprint pedals (alter ego) and explain how the two are different in their emulations.

On a level of personal speculation from having owned a flashback and hall of fame, I believe the Alter Ego uses a set of generic models (tape, analog, etc) and are then parameters are tweaked to sound like each. it would seem a pedal with only one engine instead of 10 would have more room for sound processing.

topo morto

The viscous pedal may well be be running an algorithm that itself models a circuit, rather than being a simple application of digital filters. I'd still be surprised if there's anything specific in the hardware of those pedals that technically makes them less of a 'blank canvas' sonically than, say, the Alter Ego or Corona Chorus. But I could be wrong and would be interested to know.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom