• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

chambered p-90's?

rorschah

I've realized that a sound that I seem to really like is heavily distorted p-90's on some chambered/semi-hollow/hollow guitar. (Mr. Airplane Man, punk/blues band, is a great modern example. P-90's on a Gibson hollowbody, heavily distorted for punked out Howlin' Wolf covers.)

Suggestions? Especially for guitars smaller than full hollowbody or 335 size?

-thi

NotWesYet

Guild Blues 90:D

Great guitars, very affordable, high quality and its got a baseball bat for a neck!

Swampash

Originally posted by rorschah
What about a Gibson Blueshawk?

Having trouble finding a Guild Blues 90...

-thi
The blueshawk is only semi-semi-hollow...but don't let that stop you. As long as you trade the pups for something worthwhile - lollars, or Fralins are my 2 personal favorites - it sounds great for cheap.

The Varitone switch (an unsung tone-helper IMO) can get a bunch of cool-to-unusual sounds, and with a fret dressing, the neck is OK too. It is somewhat neck heavy though...if that's a problem, look elsewhere.

mainsale

Don't overlook a Terry C. McInturff Royal. I put a set of Lollar P-90's in mine and it is one of my very favorite guitars, ever!

rorschah

I checked out a few Reverend Slingshots from all the stuff I'd been hearing about.

It's an *awesome* guitar, but not the vibe I'm looking for.

Slingshot was something weird mutant in Strat/Dano territory, very clean, very chimey. Might go there if I wanted to push on the P90/strat vibe, but I think the itch I'm trying to scratch here is something somewhat warmer/rumblier.

I think a *lot* of the tones I dig are either mahogany/maple type P90, or L5 or ES125 type P90.

The Melancons I've itched towards... but that's so way beyond my budget it's nutsoid.

The ES125, Blueshawk, and Blues 90 are much closer to it.

Anybody spend much time on a Blueshawk. I did some checkin' up on them... the body is... poplar? I don't think I've played a poplar guitar before. (Or at least, not knowlingly). Is it more mahogany-like, or more alder-like, or...?

-thi

Scott_F

I'm in the process of buying a hamer korina artist p90.

I've owned a Guild Blues 90 for a while.

Hard to go wrong with either. Back when they were blowing out those Blues 90's at Guitar Center for 599, I grabbed one. Now all those guys that paid 599 are asking 999 on ebay! :)

Hamer seem to be real values still. But lots of folks are catching on.

Bluedawg

I picked up a Cloud 9 '54 Les Paul reissue earlier this year and I like it quite a bit. The Cloud 9s are chambered Les Pauls, almost completely hollow except for the support area under the bridge and maybe the pickups.

You might enjoy either a 54 or 56 reissue Cloud 9. There are still a few left at either Wildwood, Dave's guitar, and one other shop that slips my mind. Check out the dealers at www.lespaul.com.

Worth a try and they are all at dealers that do their best to avoid letting Gibson's problem guitars out the door to customers.

Good Luck

:p

Scott_F

I just bought this 2001 Hamer Artist P90 Korina for $785, shipped. Also has Tonepros bridge and locking studs on it.

Hard to beat that bargain... I'll report back when it gets here next week.

S

saftbill

You said chambered, right? My pet guitar is a Les Paul Classic Double Cut w/p-90's. Gold top, chambered mahogany body...very light, 24 frets (and you can get to them all), 24 3/4" scale, plays smooth as butter. Discontinued by Gibson for 2005, but I'm sure there's still a few floating around out there.

Scott_F

you bring up a good point, do we mean chambered as in a solid top with something akin to weight relief routed out underneath the cap, or all semi-hollow guitars... my bad...

Trending Topics