Champ 5F1 questions

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by renfra, Sep 7, 2006.

1. renfra

renfra Member

I've heard that it's possible to increase the louder of my amp connecting it with another amp or cab, can anyone help me?

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Yes it is. You will get a lot more volume with a bigger cab. The only limitation is that for this amp it must be a 4-ohm cab. (You might be safe with an 8-ohm, which is usually a safe mismatch for most amps, but I wouldn't try it if that's an original 5F1 - the transformer is very small and cheap, and you don't want to blow it since they're a big part of the tone and value of the amp.)

You will need to make a speaker cable with an RCA plug on one end.

When I had a 5F1 - which stupidly I sold a few years ago, for what seemed like a lot of money at the time :( - I occasionally ran it through a 4-ohm-wired Marshall 4x12" :). You would not believe it was only three and a half watts... it sounded absolutely HUGE and sort of Tweedy-Marshally, kind of like Neil Young and Bad Company playing through it at the same time :D.

You could also run the signal through a louder amp, but you'll need some kind of splitter or load box to create a line-level signal from the speaker output. DO NOT run the amp without either a speaker or a 4-ohm dummy load connected under any circumstances - you'll definitely blow it.

3. renfra

renfra Member

Thanks for answering, but how did you run it trough the other cab, there isn't the extra speaker output in my Champ.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Just unplug the internal speaker - that's where the RCA jack is. There's no point in running the amp's speaker along with a big cab - it will draw half the power (making the additional cab a bit quieter) but you still won't really hear it up against a 2x12" or a 4x12". So you might actually lose volume by running both together, compared to just the big cab on its own.

Make sure you use a good quality RCA plug and that it fits tightly on the jack - if it comes off while you're playing it will damage the amp too.

5. yesteryear

yesteryear Member

At one point I had a 62 Brown deluxe with a Weber 12", rebuilt cab. and my tweed champ clone. The deluxe is gone now. My tweed champ is a clone and a had a typical quarter inch cable speaker jack and ran at 8 ohm. Sooooo, I plugged the Champ chassis in to the 12 inch speaker in the Deluxe cab and hey what do you know, its just as loud as the Deluxe chassis. Sounded huge, round, fat, detailed. Ever since then Ive been dying to get a Weber cab with a 10 inch baffle. I will soon , just need the funds.

6. Boogs

Boogs Member

That's the great thing about Champs. The 8" speaker is quiet, and small sounding, but if you use it as a head and play it through an efficient external cab, it's pretty dang loud. I love my Valvetrain clone!

7. brad347

brad347 Member

YEP. Don't let the numbers fool ya. Since we hear on a logarithmic scale rather than a linear one, that 3 watt amp really isn't too much quieter than a 25 or 50 watt amp through identical speakers.