Champ or Princeton for recording?

Elektrik_SIxx

I need to redo a Mayer-type solo on a recording (originally recorded with a clipping POD!) and next month I'm recording a commercial with a 60's Sam Cooke / Motown vibe to it. I'm not gonna use the POD and while I also have a Mesa Studio22+ and a Vox AC30, I'm looking for that classic 60's Fender tone.

I'm looking at a SF Princeton, a SF Princeton Reverb, a '73 Champ, a'72 Vibro Champ and even a Champ12 RK, all used, and no mods as far as I can tell from the seller's ads.

The Princetons go for 900-1000 Euro's, the SF Champs for 450 ,the Vibro Champ for 500 and the Champ 12 RK for 375.

What's your recording experience with these amps?

drtone

Hard to beat a Princeton Reverb as far as great Fender tone is concerned. In my opinion, the Fender Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb at 1A and 1B....good luck

huskerjohn

I have to agree with drtone, a Princeton is hard to beat. A champ records well too, but the Princeton is in a class by itself.

Elektrik_SIxx

Hey guys, thx for the replies so far. I guess I have to shill out the extra dough for the Princeton.

Any opinions on Princeton vs Princeton Reverb?

mbratch

I love both amps for recording. I think the Princeton Reverb would be closer to a Mayer tone. A lot depends upon the speaker that is in it and the eq.

Doc W

With the Princeton Reverb (and most Fender reverb amps), the reverb channel is a little hotter. Although you don't need the reverb for the studio, I would still go for the Princeton Reverb for that extra push. Also, if you can, hook up the PR to a cab with a 12" speaker. You will get that classic Fender tone for the Motown vibe you seek, and it will have a lot more bottom for that Mayer tone.

Marcocet

Silverface PR with a 12" greenback installed in it is my favorite amp I own. Best recording bass amp I've ever heard too.

-marc alan

panoramic

I use a silverface princeton reverb for all of my rhythm tracks, but I still use larger amps for lead stuff because I like to be able to feel the nasty coming out of the speakers, it's part of the song that should be done that way.

JefeMaximo

Huge Member
I find the non-reverb Princeton (mine is a '63) to be more balanced than the PR, which I think is a bit too brittle on the high end. Both are great, it all depends on what your ears prefer.

Redfish

I like the PR for clean stuff plugging straight into the amp. The Princeton non-reverb handles pedals so much better than the PR in my opinion. I am also in the camp that thinks the PR high end gets a little ratty sounding when you get above 7. I like them both for their different qualities and they are the only two Fender amps I have never sold. Both are great amps for recording. If I could only have one it would be the non-reverb even though I know I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Raybob

I use a silverface princeton reverb for all of my rhythm tracks, but I still use larger amps for lead stuff because I like to be able to feel the nasty coming out of the speakers, it's part of the song that should be done that way.
If you haven't heard 'nasty' come out of a Princeton, listen to Jim Campilongo!

Marcocet

Yup, Jim's a Blackface Princeton Reverb is the only amp that matters guy last time I checked. And he really does sound like nobody else. But I have an odd feeling it's mostly in his hands and his brain...

Elektrik_SIxx

Ok, got the PR today and man, do I NOT regret that! What a tonemonster!
I can see why some say that it gets ratty at higher volumes but for my purposes (recording) it's totally okay! The issue can be lessened somewhat by plugging into input 2.
And the reverb! Classic! All those 60's sounds are in there!

The shop owner also had me try a Marshall JTM 30 and that one had an incredible clean channel too, while the drive channel was only so so.
It had some volume drop issues now and then and that's why I didn't take it. Glad that I didn't cause after doing some searching here on the forum I noticed these amps are notorious for their overheating problems.
But the clean channel has to be heard to be believed. Good reverb too. Maybe Marshall could fix the heating issue and improve the drive channel if they ever want to reissue it cause it's a winner!

Redfish

A lot of the used JTM 30s I have run across have had a fan installed to address the overheating issue. A good tech can usually mod these amps and make them really nice. I had a friend that had one that had no problem stock and it was a great sounding amp. Hard to beat a PR though. Enjoy!

Trending Topics