Champ sized tube amp with good cleans

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jim lavender, Feb 5, 2019.

1. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

Check out the Allen Model LF. 1x8, 5w/6v6, 10w/6l6, treble/bass/raw controls. Love mine.

2. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

Wish I could check one out in person. On a side note, You still have your WonderDawg? I picked up a used 25 watter a few months ago and really dig it? Jim makes good stuff.

3. Pelagic

Pelagic Supporting Member

Sorry if I'm wasting your time by disregarding most of the items on your wish list, but have you tried a Princeton Reverb Reissue?
    I own both vintage Champ and vintage Princeton Reverb and only the PR gets any use around my home for cleans. Champ might get used more if I was constantly pushing the amp with overdrives and trying to keep volume down.

ellis dee likes this.
  4. erksin

erksin Member

Aside from making sure it’s got healthy caps and a 3-prong cord a vintage Champ should last you for a decade or two.

5. jim lavender

jim lavender Member

I've actually got a Vintage Sound 15 princeton type amp but really want something smaller that I can leave out all the time as our house has limited space.

Pelagic likes this.
  6. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Dr Z Maz 8. Beautiful cleans.

7. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

The Model LF is a blackface Champ essentially with treble and bass EQ, so you probably know what to expect there. But as you crank the raw knob, the bass and treble knobs get dialed out and it becomes a little more tweed or brownface. I recently sold my Wonderdawg actually. Not because I didn't like it, it was fantastic. But I hadn't been using it and it didn't make sense to have gear dollars tied up in something I wasn't using. I was using it in a jazz trio in which its clean tone was to die for. But that project ended and I have been using my Allen Hot Fudge for another less jazzy, more funk/rock project.