Champ speaker: Jensen MOD or Weber Sig.?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarjb44, Jan 25, 2012.

1. guitarjb44

guitarjb44 Supporting Member

Hello.

I have narrowed my search for an 8" replacement speaker (for a '70s SF Champ) to the Jensen MOD 8" and the Weber Signature Series 8" Alnico. I know there are better/higher-priced options, but these are in the range I am willing to pay at the moment.

Do any of you have opinions as to which of those two would be a better way to go? I assume the Weber will be better for the money, but maybe I should not assume.

Thank you for any input you can provide.

-Joe

2. bobwl

bobwl Member

Never tried the Weber, but the Jensen Mod is a good speaker. I put one in an old Epiphone Electar Tube 10 I had sounded great. The Mods do seem to take a little breaking in though.

3. Fab4ever

Fab4ever Member

I put a 12-inch Weber Sig in my Fender Musicmaster and it really rocks - nice Fendery tone. I know the size difference is substantial, but that's my only experience.

4. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

The Weber Blue Pup 8" was great in my '64 BFVC. Nice round lows and a great growl cranked up. The highs were sweet/smooth. Reminded me of an Emi RWB. Decent headroom, too: stayed clean up to around 5-6 on the volume with single coils.

5. guitarsenal

guitarsenal Silver Supporting Member

I have the Weber in my '59 tweed champ (lovingly installed by the great Jimmy Somma). The amp absolutely breathes fire. The Jan/Feb 2010 issue of Tonequest was dedicated to the Tweed Champ and reviewed the Webers and the Jensens. You should check that out if you haven't. Jimmy steered me to the Weber as well and I love it.

6. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

I stuck the jensen in mine...honestly it made a difference, but now I have it driving a celestion 12" and it is way better than with the smaller speaker.

7. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

I liked the Weber 8 Sig Alnico very much, but I replaced it with a Weber 8F125 (ceramic) which sounded even better.

8. KR-100

KR-100 Member

FWIW the mod 8 in my 78 VC has a really sweet old school marshall grind with my favorite Les Paul w/HB's. Vol, T, B on 10....roll back guitar vol to taste.

That said I ordered a wgs g8c to try out as I could use the additional volume(93db vs 96db). Wish the volume went to 15 as the overdrive kicks *** in these things.

The webers do sound nice with singlecoils.....I guess it depends what you are trying to get out of it.

9. Mudder

Mudder Member

I use 2 weber sig alnico 10s with my vibro champ, perfect match.

10. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

My Mod/Sig comparison is based on the 12" I swapped in my 5E3 clone. I preferred the Weber by a significant margin. The Mod had a high-end fizz when pushed that I didn't like at all. The Sig had a smoother breakup and a more balanced sound once it was broken in.

FWIW, the speaker in my VC is a Weber 8A125. Worth the extra coin IMO.