champ speaker replacement

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by lancerontrack, Jul 23, 2008.

1. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

i have a 67' champ that has a weber SIG 8 alnico speaker in it. amp is very very bright and totally lacking anything that has to do with bass. i like a darker thicker sounding amp. i know its asking alot for an 8" speaker but is there anything out there than can handle some bass alittle better? i do have the original oxford speaker thats in perfect condition but havent even tried it in the amp and would rather keep it in good condition for resaling value. any advice?

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Champs aren't known for having amazing bass because of their minimal speakers. If you want to try to get more bass you could try a ceramic speaker instead, like a Jensen C8R or an equivalent.

3. ando

ando Supporting Member

i have a '65 vibro champ & a tweed clark lil' bit, one has a weber 8A100 & the other a weber 8A125..both amps have quite a bit of low end with these speakers & sound great...

4. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

did a quick search but was having trouble finding these. do u know who sells them?

5. xStonr

xStonr Member

The speakers you are asking about are Weber Speakers. They are the Vintage Series.

6. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

thanks for the help. im gonna get one when i get the $$$

7. brad347

brad347 Member

make sure they fit in your particular amp.

8. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

8 inch speakers by nature are sparkly and spittynastygood in my opinion. I have a weber alnico sig8 in my '65 VibroChamp and that's its signature sound. if i want the bottom but still keep that chime, i plug that amp into my Princeton's 12" Celestion Blue. That'll bring the bottom right quick.

9. lancerontrack

lancerontrack Member

its just that the sound is way too bright and has nothing but flabby farts for the bass. i love the size and would hate to get rid of it.