Champ with two 6v6's ?

Tone_Boss

I know nothing about electronics but would it be possible to build a Champ circuit with two 6v6's or even two 6l6's for more volume? It boils down to the Champ being my favorite tone and I want that with more volume for a band. I don't want to waste time and money trying to replicate it with other amps unless this already exists somewhere.

FenderAmpGas

Edit: I think I read your post to quickly. You want the same circuit (5E1, 5F1), just with 2 6v6s. Is that right?

What you want is a Tweed Deluxe (5E3 circuit) or a clone from one of many builders such as:

Victoria
Swart
Tungsten
etc.

A Harvard type circuit (5F10) would work as well.

Last edited:

chervokas

I know nothing about electronics but would it be possible to build a Champ circuit with two 6v6's or even two 6l6's for more volume? It boils down to the Champ being my favorite tone and I want that with more volume for a band. I don't want to waste time and money trying to replicate it with other amps unless this already exists somewhere.
Well, do you mean a push-pull output stage with a champ preamp stage? I'm sure someone could build that if they haven't already, but with a phase inverter, push-pull output stage and presumably different OT, it would be quite a different amp from a single ended Champ, even without moving to 6L6 and an even different OT. Or do you mean a dual single ended amp with two 6V6s? Those sorts of amps are less frequently seen but they do exist. I dunno if there are any dual single ended variants on the Champ circuit though.

vltjd

Gold Supporting Member
This guy had such an amp as a kit or he'd build it for you:

http://www.stf-electronics.com/

Tone_Boss

Edit: I think I read your post to quickly. You want the same circuit (5E1, 5F1), just with 2 6v6s. Is that right?

What you want is a Tweed Deluxe (5E3 circuit) or a clone from one of many builders such as:

Victoria
Swart
Tungsten
etc.

A Harvard type circuit (5F10) would work as well.
Right, I want a 5F1 but with two power tubes.

Tone_Boss

Well, do you mean a push-pull output stage with a champ preamp stage? I'm sure someone could build that if they haven't already, but with a phase inverter, push-pull output stage and presumably different OT, it would be quite a different amp from a single ended Champ, even without moving to 6L6 and an even different OT. Or do you mean a dual single ended amp with two 6V6s? Those sorts of amps are less frequently seen but they do exist. I dunno if there are any dual single ended variants on the Champ circuit though.
Sorry man, I don't understand the technical jargon. I just want a Champ, exactly the way its configured, but with two power tubes so I can play with a drummer and bass player. So was basically wondering if it was possible to do a 5f1 with two power tubes? And leave everything else exactly the same. I don't want to add or change anything and end up with something different from the Champ tone, just want more volume. Or does adding the additional tube make it impossible with that circuit? (BTW I already have a deluxe).

Tom60

Even a twin (paralel) single ended "DoubleChamp" would not be a 5F1 anymore.

Buying a second Champ and running them paired would be easier and retain the sound you like.

Edit: just missed your last post - what you want is not possible, you can not just slam another 6v6 there keeping everything else exactly as it is.

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, your best bet is to run a pair in stereo. You might try an external speaker cab with a more efficient speaker or speakers in it. The circuit changes necessary to add in another power tube will take it from sounding like a Champ to something else that just doesn't sound the same. A big part of the magic is that one power tube and how it has to run for the amp to work.

Tone_Boss

Ok, I thought I had a simple solution, I guess its not simple or someone would have been doing this already. Thanks for the input guys. Not sure I want to run two champs, I don't think it would be enough to cut through, unless maybe it was the Tungsten with the 6l6 and 12".

DLebs

What about a bad cat unleash? It should be able to make your champ keep up with pretty much anything.

DRS

Want you want is a single ended, 2x6V6 amp with the Champ style pre-amp. You can run 2 power tubes in single ended configuration. Now, I don't know who makes them. Having said that, I bet you'd be happy with a Tweed Deluxe.

Tone_Boss

Want you want is a single ended, 2x6V6 amp with the Champ style pre-amp. You can run 2 power tubes in single ended configuration. Now, I don't know who makes them. Having said that, I bet you'd be happy with a Tweed Deluxe.
I actually have a deluxe, really like it but its a different animal. I was just wondering if I could get a bigger 5f1 without trying to find something that gets close but isn't really what i want. Imo the Champ is the most unique tone of all Fenders to my ears so I want exactly that. I will look into this Badcat unleash also.

ChampReverb

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Clark Gullah which is a 5F1 front end on a dual 6L6 (class A, single-ended) power section. It puts out about 15W and is plenty loud enough to use in the band I'm in.

They're no longer made.

-bEn r.

DRS

Actually, the Bad Cat Unleash seems like the ideal solution. At $379 it's also the cheapest.

Tone_Boss

Actually, the Bad Cat Unleash seems like the ideal solution. At $379 it's also the cheapest.
You may be right, the STF amp runs two 6v6 in parallel but its still only ten watts. I figure I would need around twenty watts. I can run the unleash into my 4x12 and get as loud as i need.

Trending Topics