Champion 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by retrobob, May 17, 2007.

1. XKnight

XKnight Member

The Champion 600 has an internal speaker jack. You just disconnect the internal speaker and you can hook a cab to it. I'm no expert on ohms, but I don't think it would harm anything to hook the Champion to 8 or 16 ohms, but the sound may suffer. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in soon.

2. tdarian

tdarian Gold Supporting Member

Sounds like a cool little amp. I'll have to check one out.

3. nsriley

nsriley Member

I just got mine via mail order and it's a neat little amp sounded good at first, but almost seemed too quiet to me. But I as I move the volume knob up and down I get these loud 'pops' through the speaker and the volume will jump way up or way down. I notice if I push in on the pot the shaft moves a little and will also make the volume go up and it will get real quiet if I let go. Is this a bad pot I wonder? I checked all connections and tubes and even pulled the chassis to look at the pot and it's one of those cheap looking square blue colored micro pots. I mean the amp works, and doesn't crackle or pop while playing, but when I start to fiddle with the knob it acts up. :( It took 8 days ground to get to me I don't wanna have to send it back.

Has anyone had this issue?

4. nsriley

nsriley Member

Not worth bothering with, AM is sending me a new one today and I return this one when I get the shipping label. More waiting! :crazy:messedup

5. BoostAddict

BoostAddict Member

I think the speaker sounds fine

I left the back cover off after swapping both tubes with JJ's
    man that fizz is gone and it sounds great

I play it more than my Valve Jr.

6. zakdog

zakdog Member

I bought one of these off of ebay for $165 and although it didn't sound much different than my lil old Fender DS15...I think it is breaking in. I had my son help me do a blind comparison. I turned my back and he switched the cable back and forth. At first, I could hardly tell the difference. I looked on Fender Forum's site and there are about 500 posts on how others have modded this amp...along the same lines.
    I have a Thinline Tele with a TexMex at the neck and it sounds good. The speaker does get raspy above 10 but not as warm as I would like. I''m going to see if my local shop has tubes I can swap out and report back.

btw, first post!:RoCkIn

7. BoostAddict

BoostAddict Member

btw it's only $179 at guitartrader.com ;)

8. FJTurner

FJTurner Member

Got one 2 days ago. Recorded a loop and played it through the amp for about 4 hours to start breaking in speaker. The high input sounded harsh the first few hours when cranked. Took it apart the next morning to swap the 12AX7 with an EI tube I had. Haven't changed the 6V6 yet, because changing the preamp tube improved the sound so much. I recommend taking the head out of the cab. One of the screws that hold the circuit board to the chassis worked loose and was floating around inside the amp. Put it back and glad there were no problems. After playing it for about 2 hours today, the sound really smoothed out and it sounds great! I don't think the speaker needs changing at all. Just break it in for a few hours. I have to agree with some of the other guys here...this is my favorite new amp! Great tone and low volume, which is great for playing in the house. Sounds espescially good with Teles...it is a Fender.

9. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I played on at GC and I thought it was abysmal, too.

10. Zim

Zim Member

I got one 2 days ago. I love it! I put a GT 12ax7 in it and made a world of differance. I'm gonna order a few tubes form Eurotubes. I think the stock speaker sounds pretty good. I may order a couple Webers to try. I hooked it up through my 112 cab, and it was alive! I'm toying with the idea of buying another to put in a 112 cab. I think you could gig with a pair mic'ed up. This will hold me untill I find me a good 5E3 amp. Great grab and jam w/ buddies and jamming around the house. All you apartment dwellers, this is the amp for you! It sound great, alittle funny w/ OD's, but to be fair, it is a 6" speaker, and needs broken in. But through the 112 cab, it sounded great w/ OD's

11. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

12. lapis

lapis Member

Suggestions for the best spare-no-expense tubes for the Champion 600?

NOS Brimar 6v6 was mentioned in this thread. Others?

For the 12ax7?

13. lapis

lapis Member

For example how would a NOS RCA blackplate 6V6 compare to the NOS Brimar 6V6?

Thanks

14. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP Senior Member

I'm starting to think the GC ones are junk.........metal kids beating the **** out of them and letting you play the rancid remains.:nono

Mine sounds great!
    Fizzy and farty when completely cranked, but that mid-volume clean is AMAZING!

15. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

I replaced the 12ax7 with a GE 5751. Big improvement. Mine came stock with a jj 6v6. wtf?

The speaker is ok at mid volumes but it gives out when the volume is high. Also, fuzz pedals sound fizzy through the stock speaker. Maybe that will improve with time. If not, I'll be tempted to try a Weber ceramic.

16. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

I really like the 5751 in mine. I had a Brimar 6V6 around whose mate is in a tweed Princeton-a-like. Sounds great! :AOK

17. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

18. armanHammer

armanHammer Member

Buying the champ seems silly, when for one or two hundred more you could get a vibro champ on ebay, which not only has more controls and probably better built, but is a great investment.

19. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

;)
    For two hundred more than the new champ I could have two champs and play them in stereo. ;)

20. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Silver Supporting Member

Ain't nothing silly 'bout great tone that's readily accessible for $170. This amp will leave you with a smile on your face that you could pour on a waffle.