Chandler delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Tokyo tapes, Dec 11, 2005.

1. Tokyo tapes

Tokyo tapes Member

This unit never seemes to get bad reviewes. It's been around for some time now so there should be a least a couple of boxes who will do the "echoplex thing" as well or better. So, my question is: which are they?
    Also will the Chandler do the self oscillating runaway feedback thing?

/Ulf

2. AdamGian

AdamGian Member

Good question.

I've been wondering the same. It does seem as though the Chandler Echo gets nothing but good reviews which makes me wonder if anyone has come out with one that is just as good at what it does. As far as your question about other boxes that do the Echoplex thing, the only other one that I've read about is the SIB analog delay (the blue one). I've never played through the SIB or the Chandler. The BYOC box with the effects loop looks interesting. I have an EP-1 and am waiting on an EP-3 from a board member.

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I've wanted to own that Chandler Echo for years, should've bought one when I had the chance. Keep an ear out: Bob Sweet from Sweetsound is working on a pedal version of that old unit. Would still love to own one of the rack mounted Chandlers to go along with my Peavey Valverb. Reverb/Trem/Echo in my vented two-spacer would be very cool as those are the only effects I really care about, save leslie.

As for the Chandler, I think it somewhat does the tape emulation thing, but it is digital and I highly doubt it sounds identical to an echoplex.

I do have a BYOC delay on it's way to me as we speak. Should've been here today (12/12) but UPS has conveniently rescheduled it for a future date for me. God bless those guys.

4. Tokyo tapes

Tokyo tapes Member

Seems like I'll be able to get hold of one of the Chandler delays :)
    How about the self oscillating capability?

5. telewacker

telewacker Supporting Member

I just got the Chandler Delay yesterday. It is very good, but not a tape echo. It does seem to allow the original note to remain more distinct than other delays I've used, and the modulation used judiciously does add a little more tape character.

The hassle of maintaining and transporting a tape echo is not worth the difference in performance with the Chandler in a live setting for me. YMMV.

Question for Phil M;

I'm planning on getting the Valverb too. How deep a unit is it? I want a rack as shallow as possible, but from the pics I've seen the Valverb looks to be fairly deep.

Thanks.

6. threm

threm Member

Telewacker, the Valverb is 26.5 cm deep which should be around 10.4 of those yankees.

1 inch = 2.54 cm

:)

7. marklyn

marklyn Member

Phil,

You're describing my effect set-up exactly. Valverb and Chandler SDE in a 2 space rack. I love it!

Telewacker,
    The valverb is about twice as deep as the Chandler, but easily fits in the rack. It would take a very shallow rack for the Valverb to not fit.

James likes this.
  8. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I have a very shallow rack that my friend made for me years ago and the Valverb sticks out an inch or two in the back.

9. Tokyo tapes

Tokyo tapes Member

What about the self oscillating thing.

10. dosmun

dosmun Member

What types of setting do any of you use for the modulation for adding tape character?

11. oxtone

oxtone Member

Doesn't Eric Johnson use the Chandler Echo in his rack? I think I've seen it listed with his gear. When I saw him this Summer, he also had a E.H. Deluxe Memory Man at his feet.

12. telewacker

No. Just a gradual fading of repeats.

13. telewacker

Thanks Threm and Phil M.

I was thinking of a rack that I could place between my head and 2x12 but I realized that the Valverb is too sensitive to vibration for that approach. Where do you guys keep your racks where you can get at them easily for tweakage without putting them on your amps?

14. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

The only thing in mine is the Valverb. I either put it on top of the head or on its side next to the cabinet. I didn't find vibration, even at full band volume, to be a problem though.