1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Chandler Echo Schematic

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by webb, Oct 3, 2006.

1. webb

webb Member

Does anyone have the schematic for this?
    I think my effect on/off switch broke. The delay works fine, but when I switch it off the effect still sounds.

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Webb, you talking about the bypass footswitch, or the bypass switch on the front of the unit, or the power off/on switch? Can you plug a latching footswitch in to the back of the unit and switch it in and out?

On my Chandler, there's an on/off switch in front, and a bypass switch on the front too which can also be remotely accessed by a footswitch from a 1/4" jack on the back panel. Sound like the unit powers up, but won't let you bypass it, is that right? Try both the footswitch and the rocker switch - try the footswitch when the rocker is in both positions, see if that works ....

What neck of the woods are you in?

Dana O.

3. webb

webb Member

Thanks Dana, this started just last sunday, up to that point both the rocker switch or a footswitch worked fine.
    In fact, I just ran it through your checklist and it still won't bypass. One thing I did notice is that the effect bypass switch(on the front of the unit) now has a dull green glow to it in the off position.(same thing happens when I use the footswitch) I seem to remember the light on the rocker switch turning totally off, maybe you could check that for me.
    I live in Las Vegas.

4. rooster

rooster Member

You can still buy a copy of the schematic from Paul Chandler at Chandler guitars. I will tell you though, it's not an easy schematic to read. If you have switching problems, chances are it's this one FET that they use for switching that has been discontinued many years ago, and there is only 1 replacement. However, the replacement is not quite the same, and you may have to go through 10 of them in order to get 1 that will work, so be VERY careful with your iron; you'll have to solder/desolder to the same spot several times.

I've fixed a couple before, but they are one of the most difficult to fix products ever built, due to the documentation. Also, if you're not using one yet, build a REGULATED 9V supply. If there's a spike in the power line, and the input voltage goes over 10V, you'll blow the switching network.

rooster.

5. webb

webb Member

I was just trying to chase down the problem, I won't work on it myself.
    Sounds like I did blow the switching network, I was using a danelectro power supply. I think it is regulated though.
    Do you still work on effects?

6. webb

webb Member

7. Dana Olsen

Hey Webb and Rooster - I kinda forgot about this topic, just remembered it now.

Rooster, you know any techs in Las Vegas? That's where Webb is. If not there, maybe Dave Freidman at Rack Systems in North Hollywood is a decent bet for repairing it. I think his number is (818) 506-0662.

If that's not right, call 818-530-8853. That's Roy Blankenship, tube amp builder and repairman. His shop is in the same building right next door to Rack Systems - he's only 10 feet away, and he'll get ahold of Dave for ya, and he may have a suggestion or two also as to who can fix it or get you the parts or schematics you need.

I like Rooster's suggestion to call Paul Chandler too - he can probably help too (GRIN)

Good Luck, Dana Olsen

8. webb

webb Member

Thanks for the info Dana!
    I've been using a true bypass looper with it but it would be nice to get it fixed.
    I tried emailing Paul at Chandler but haven't received a reply yet.
    What's the story behind the [GRIN]
    Thanks again

9. rooster

rooster Member

Well, I have 2 of them on the bench these days, I'm trying to work out a test jig that will allow me to check for leakage and impedance vs. gain for the replacement FET to let me just test a batch and sort for workability before I solder them in. I figure a FET like that would be worth about $10 or so, since I've found about 1 in 10 so far that work...

I'll be back on them in a coupla months, but I've gotta finish renovating my house/shop first. If I make a breakthrough, I'll post it.

As far as the <GRIN> goes, I think that has to do with the fact that Paul kinda lost his shirt on that unit, when Panasonic made the chip that he based the effect around unavailable to him. It sucks, since he had the BEST echo I've ever heard, including Echoplexes. Unbelievable sound and quality, it was just that power supply oversight that nuked them. He's not to happy talking about them these days, other than that he knows he had a winner, and got hosed. Plus, people kept asking stuff like, "where can I find a clone for half the price." The answer of course, is that there is none; it's one-of-a-kind.

rooster.

10. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

Rooster,

I've had my SDE-2 since probably 97 or so that I bought new. I played through a friends SDE and knew I had to have one (96?). As soon as I saw the SDE-2 was available, I jumped on it. It's been good to me ever since.

What is the power supply oversight to which you refer? If you've got any other thoughts on it, I'd appreciate it. I knew the story about the chip not being available, but if you've got any other stories/anecdotes I would love to hear.

Thanks,
    Jonathan

11. Dana Olsen

That's it! Dana O.

12. dosmun

dosmun Member

Contact www.mccourtsmusic.com and ask if Scott Farrow still works there. He got one going for me a few years back and it only cost about $45.