Chandler GERMANIUM Pre Amp!!!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by muddy, Nov 18, 2005.

1. muddy

muddy Member

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

The ge comp looks pretty sweet too but is still supposedly way off.

Muddy, what's the word on the ge pre? Still shipping on Dec 1?

3. muddy

muddy Member

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=46528

i believe so.

ml

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>These incredibly smooth sounding transistors were the basis of the earliest transistor designs by Neve (1053, 1055, 1057), EMI ( TG12345 MKI), Telefunken, and Fairchild. Those familiar with these units can attest to the special sound of the germanium tranasistor<<

Not to throw a monkey wrench into the works, but...the later Neve 1070 series are the "classics" whose sound we are most familiar with, not the 1050 series, and the tube Telefunkens and Fairchilds are generally regarded to be the most desirable versions.

I've yet to see a major studio with transistor Fairchilds, for example...

Of course, this piece of gear might sound good...who knows.

5. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

You mean the "classics" that have been cloned to the point of absolute market saturation? Chandler are doing something slightly different... I don't see what the problem is.

6. elambo

elambo Member

And what's wrong with a proven sound? Would it make sense to avoid playing a Martin D-28, or a Strat, or a Tele, just because they've been cloned to the point of absolute market saturation? Of course not.

But I do agree that Chandler is smart for creating something a little different than what's already among their lineup. They're a great company and I'm sure this will be a winner.

7. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Chandler are doing something slightly different... I don't see what the problem is.<<

Ziggy, there is no problem. Nor did I say there was.

My post was just an FYI for those who might be impressed by the references to Neve, Telefunken and Fairchild, but might not be familiar with model nomenclature, and might not know that the early transistor pieces referred to are not particularly sought after for their sound. And therefore they might buy something expecting the so-called "classic" sounds produced by equipment bearing the same names and be disappointed.

Incidentally, I think Chandler makes nice gear, which is why I said that it might sound good anyway.

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>You mean the "classics" that have been cloned to the point of absolute market saturation?<<

Yes, I mean those classics.

Market penetration, in fact, has no cause-and-effect relationship to what something sounds like.

A piece of gear either sounds good, or it doesn't, regardless of how many people own it.

On a personal note, the clones I've tested aren't sonically identical to the originals anyway, though some are very nice sounding on their own.

I've logged many, many hours on the originals over the past 20 years, and I think there's a reason people want them. I should add that the repair and maintenance costs associated with some of this gear is a reason people like the clones.

To each his or her own.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'd be worried about the drastic effect that heat has on the way germanium transistors sound.

I've got a Fulltone Soulbender and if it's cold, it sounds completely different than if it's warm.

Maybe they've built heaters into it, like the old Minimoog oscillators... <g>

There's a reason that EJ builds a little tent over his Fuzzface, when he plays outdoors in the sun.

Loudboy

10. ZiggY!!

ZiggY!! Member

You do know what the Chandler LTD-1 and TG Channel are based on right?

11. elambo

elambo Member

They're based on the "classic" Neves that have been discussed above (1272, 1073). Does something about my earlier post make you assume otherwise? The Germanium is "different," which is what I and others have said all along...

12. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

Thanks, I appreciate your large brain.

Very true words BTW. Not just limited to
    studio gear.

For example,
    The Marantz products used to be some of the
    finest amp gear the world had seen!
    Model 7 pre?
    Model 8, 8B or 10 amps?

In making the worlds finest tuner
    Saul had to refinance and sell the company.

If you can find one of the early pieces
    they are wonderful works of art and sound
    great.

This of course has nothing to do with the Modern
    Marantz s*** they make now.

13. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I once had some early 70s Marantz gear, back in the early 70s (yeah, I'm old).

It was truly great.

14. loudboy

loudboy Member

I've got a Marantz 2385 Receiver, from the late 70's. 185 wpc and power supply caps the size of beercans. It still brings a smile to my face, as soon as the music starts playing.

Loudboy

15. elambo

elambo Member

If Marantz has turned to Sh!t like you say, I don't know when it happpened. I bought a Marantz receiver about 7 years ago (SR780 or something like that) and it was great. At that time their individual amp blocks also had an excellent reputation.

What happened to the company, and when? New ownership?

16. Red Ant

Red Ant Member

I've got special pricing on chandler gear, so if anyone is interested, PM me.

17. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I'm reminded of the concept that sometimes, you just get it right the first time. Surely the strat, tele, and LP are examples of that. I'm all for anything Wade/Chandler come up with because he makes some great gear. I don't see him shooting himself in the foot by releasing anything that wouldn't sound great and/or compliment his already great line of gear.

Perhaps he took the best things about those early designs, and incorporated improvements that weren't thought of at the time. If everyone in their brother want's the "Neve" sound, there's a lot of people doing that very well. This would seem to me to be a character piece...or something just a bit different if you're stacking pre's. Either way, at $800 bucks, I don't think you can go wrong as long as you don't expect it to be something that it's not :)

I'm looking forward to hearing this one. My MP2NV could us a little company :)

18. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Not to nitpick, but to keep it straight I believe The LTD-1 is based on the Neve, while the TG-2 is based on the EMI.

19. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>What happened to the company, and when? New ownership?<<

If I recall my ancient history, quite a while ago (20 years?) Marantz was bought by Superscope, and became a "badge" instead of a Saul Marantz product.

This doesn't necessarily mean it's bad stuff.

In the 60s and part of the 70s, it was still considered very high end gear.

20. elambo

elambo Member

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm only familiar with the LTD-1, which is definitely based on a 1073.