Chandler Tube Driver is sick...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by clothwiring, Feb 27, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

I found that the wall wart on my Chandler Tube Driver is getting sketchy. When I hang it from the wall with the tongs on the bottom I get connection, if I hang it so they are on the top, they do not.

My thought is that I'll replace the wall wart by removing all the cabling for power and put in a socket/jack in the back and get a separate wall wart which will connect to the new wiring I put in (like most other 9v type adapters). But I know the wall wart is rated at 24v.

Any input on this? I do not plan on selling it so as long as I can keep it running I will keep it. It sounds great and it's great for recording through my Blues Deluxe. Any good supply places to get the parts?

Thanks all!

2. clothwiring

Also if someone could help me with the part names I'll need, I'd greatly appreciate it. Basically I'm going to take the old power section out (wall wart and wiring to the inside), put in a jack to attach an external wall wart typical style connector. Not sure of the terminology but basically putting in a power jack in the unit then using a PSA-120 adaptor to get power to it (but I know I'll need to get one that is 24 volts).

3. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

E-mail: paul@chandlerguitars.com
    Phone: (530) 899-1503
    Fax: (530) 899-1603

Chandler is still in business www.chandlerguitars.com

Paul Chandler was very helpful a couple years ago with a power supply for a SDEcho I had..... they might have some suggestions

4. clothwiring

Thanks DonneR, email has been sent to Paul.

5. clothwiring

Response from Paul: "sorry - we haven't made this item in over 15 years - we have no parts and do not offer any type of support."

Other ideas?

6. Don Rusk

hmmmm , nope- tho might be easier to repair the power supply,,,,

7. dosmun

dosmun Member

It sounds like it is just the cable on the power supply is broke. You just need to get the power supply open and cut off the bad part of the cable and reconnect it. What model Tube Driver is it? Does the wall wart just plug into the Tube Driver. If so just replace it. I guess I am not sure exactly what you have.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

Pics would help too.

9. Tonal Comfort

Tonal Comfort Supporting Member

You may want to consider contacting BK Butler and asking him about the problem directly. I e-mailed him recently and he was very responsive and informative. He is the original designer of the Tube Driver. www.tubedriver.com

10. clothwiring

Email sent to Butler, thanks Tonal for the suggestion!

11. clothwiring

Here's what BK Butler said.

"
    Should be OK.
    It’s impossible to get a transformer inside the old Chandler copy since the pcb is in the way.
    The pedal will work with single ended 12V AC however so try it out. (Use the center wire and one outside wire for 2 conductor connector –be sure to isolate the AC from the chassis) You’ll need about 200 mA minimum at 12VAC to make it work.
    BK Butler
    "

I'm going to post a picture and have a question when I get a chance to post the pic.

12. Don Rusk

Excellent !! thanks a bunch T C ! Im a long time Blue Tube fan and got some interesting answers/info from BK .....

One thing is that he still makes a version of the Tube Driver ($299) --- AND you can get a fifth knob 'Bias' added on the back by him (+ $125) that reduces the cathode current to where the real tube and blue are or with lower gain tubes like swapping the 12ax7 for a 12at7 or 5751 etc....:BEER

13. clothwiring

Where do you see that pedal DonneR?