Chandler Tube Driver Prices

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Stormy, Jan 9, 2006.

1. Stormy

Stormy Member

I was browsing Ebay the other day and came across this Chandler Tube Driver listing and was suprised to find that non-wallwart Tube Driver pedals are fetching prices of upward of $500.

Question: What price would an original wallwart Chandler Tube Driver bring? The last time I checked (around 1999) they were going for $260.

2. Stormy

Stormy Member

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

$500!?!?!

I wish Eric Johnson prefered the walwart ones, I'd sell mine in a flash!!

4. drolling

drolling Member

I've had a bunch of these tube driven OD pedals & thought they all sounded like sh!t, including the old AC powered blue tube in the bottom of my retired FX drawer.

I read somewhere that the tube's used to power the LED, and that the overdrive sounds come from the 'gooped' circuit. Would be very funny if it were true...

5. KaBudokan

KaBudokan Supporting Member

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

It's gone up because of the recent Eric Johnson article in GP most likely. Yeah that's why Eric Johnson sounds like Eric Johnson. I agree with Drolling above. I played all of those Tube Driver and Blue Tube pedals way back when. They all sucked.

7. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

I had a bit of an epiphany seeing Eric Johnson this year at a place I could see his pedal board........

The Tube Drivers 'drive' is barely on and the tone controls are set all the way down - bass and treble cut, but with a bit of level boost ---- which leaves ?? A MIDBOOST for solos !! I tried this with the Sea BLue EQ and nailed the tone finally by turning its tone controls full down.........

or you could get something similar with the Clapton or Gilmour midboost guitar electronics........

take a strat bridge pickup and run it into a pedal with slightly dirty midboost and itll sing............

yes these pedals sound like crap with the treble up into a Fender....:jo

what do Johnson, Gilmour and Claptons lead tones have in common ? Midboost.....:AOK

8. redjet55

redjet55 Member

I still have a slightly newer one, inputs at the side instead of the top.

It was how I got a decent overdrive tone at low volume out of my super reverb back in the late 80’s

I don’t use it much since I have other OD’s that are quieter and don’t suck tone when they’re off. Right now I use it on a looper to keep it out of the circuit when it’s not in use but it takes a while to get good and warm so mostly it just sits on my board...

if I could get $400+ for it I should move it but still I hesitate... :lol

[​IMG]

9. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It offends me that they're a cheat-running the tubes at almost no plate voltage so that they contribute little to the circuit and sound basically like any other boost except a little rattier (the rodent, not the pedal). I still have a lawsuit Ibanez Tube King, but I can't find a use for it...

10. Stormy

Stormy Member

I played all of those Tube Driver and Blue Tube pedals way back when. They all sucked.

Hi Guitar Brent, I suppose your not a big fan of EJ or Gilmours tone or was it that this is just not the tone you were looking for?

I agree with someone on another post about individual pieces of gear and tone: It's not (the one) piece of gear that makes all the difference in your tone but the sum total of guitar + pedal + amp = good or bad tone depending on the combination you chose.

Anyone have an idea what wallwart Chandler Tube Drivers are going for?

11. einstein

einstein Member

the westbury can sound amazing through a solid state amp or anything, thats what shawn lane used through a holmes. they are rare