chandler tube driver -- tube suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cestlamort, Jun 12, 2008.

1. cestlamort

cestlamort Member

I just picked up an old chandler tube driver without a tube in it. Any suggestions for a replacement? 12ax7? 12au7? 12at7?

I don't have tubes on hand, so I can't experiment without picking up some new ones.

thanks!

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to get shot for this, but: if I understand correctly, the Chandler doesn't really use the tube to create much of the distortion, it's more for flavor as I understand it. I don't think you're going to find a HUGE difference between one tube and another. I'd get something inexpensive to start....

3. r080

r080 Member

Looking at a schematic, I see no other place but the tube for distortion to be created. The tube is driven, however, by an opamp. Perhaps that is what you were thinking.

It calls for a 12ax7. I have heard that the electro harmonix 12ax7s have a nice telefunken-ish dark sound. The 12at7 and 12au7 are lower gain, and would likely give a lower top end as far as amount of drive.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

I like mine with a 12AT7

5. cestlamort

cestlamort Member

thanks -- I grabbed a 12ax7 from an amp I had and everything works (relief, of course) and sounds pretty good. I'll track down some other tubes, too.

6. cugel

cugel Member

12ax7 in mine too. the chandler tube drivers get lots of flack because they are not identical to the butler versions, that being said with tweaking of tone knobs EJ is there (as close as you can get taking my HANDS into consideration!). anyone compared a chandler to a butler to a 3 knob etc???

7. Griz

Griz Member

My mid-80's 4 knob Tube Driver says both names on it: B.K. Butler and Chandler. I take it this makes it a Chandler rather than a Butler?

Sounds good, whatever it is.
    :D

8. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

Yup, Chandler.