Change in Plans (?)

gitapik

Platinum Supporting Member
I’m about to retire from teaching. I promised myself years ago that I would buy a guitar from an unnamed boutique builder when this time came. I’ve saved up for it. Can make it happen.

But a funny thing happened on the way to the forum:

I picked up a Silhouette Special, used. Low price. Took out the silent circuit, Put Area pickups into the neck and middle, a Tyler “Secret” pickup in the bridge, and had my tech wire it so it sounds like an excellent HSS Strat should.

This guitar kicks serious ass. Plus I’ve got some other great axes, too.

So now my planned just desserts for 26+ years of service are in question. I could spend $5k on what I know would be a fantastic guitar...but why?

Could get a Kemper or something of that ilk. And other toys. But I love my amps and pedals and have an OX Amp Top Box for recording.

But that’s a distraction from the point. The Silo Special sounds incredible from cleans to filth, leads and rhythm, and the neck/fingerboard are really comfy (got no problem with thin necks/small frets).

So that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it (I think).

I've never spent more than $1500 on a guitar initially. And I'm not the slightest bit concerned I'm missing out. I buy very good guitars----slightly used. Sometimes I customize them further with my favorite pickups, big brass or titanium blocks for the trem, etc. But I'd much rather have 3 to 5 great guitars than 1 for $5000. The important thing is to have the right design with good materials and craftmanship, especially the fretwork. The bootique route can quickly lead to diminishing returns. :wave

gitapik

One of the first things that made me start thinking twice was the idea that I’d end up playing the Silo less. I realized that I didn’t want that to happen.

naveed211

Totally your call. Honestly I’ve had some nice boutique guitars in my day but I’m currently enjoying keeping it simple with a more affordable guitar. No NEED to spend more.

I am jealous of your OX box though, I’d like one of those. By the time I can afford it debt free I’m sure there will be some other fancy recording solution available.

Anyway, enjoy your EBMM!

teofilrocks

Silver Supporting Member
My guess is that after getting your custom guitar, you’d be playing that exclusively for a while. And then for kicks-and-giggles you’d plug in the EBMM that’s been sitting unplayed and be floored at how good it sounds. Especially considering how much less it cost. And then you’ll look back over at your $5,000 guitar and wonder what other things that money could be doing for you..

Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily.

gitapik

My guess is that after getting your custom guitar, you’d be playing that exclusively for a while. And then for kicks-and-giggles you’d plug in the EBMM that’s been sitting unplayed and be floored at how good it sounds. Especially considering how much less it cost. And then you’ll look back over at your $5,000 guitar and wonder what other things that money could be doing for you..

Is that a bad thing? Not necessarily.
There’s already a part of me that wonders just how much better it can really get when I play that Silo Special. And I find that I don’t want to spend less time with it.

That $5000 could go towards setting up a music area in my basement. And still have money left over.

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
I've spent big money on my acoustic guitars. Electrics are more about making them my own through parts and modifications. Getting everything just right. As long as the neck is right I prefer to tinker my way to what works for me. Use the money to take a nice trip or save it for your next gas attack.

gitapik

I've spent big money on my acoustic guitars. Electrics are more about making them my own through parts and modifications. Getting everything just right. As long as the neck is right I prefer to tinker my way to what works for me. Use the money to take a nice trip or save it for your next gas attack.
That's exactly what's happened with this Silo Special. I loved the neck and have gotten the right pickups and setup through experimenting. I love playing that guitar.

SRQGuitar

Gold Supporting Member
@gitapik Sounds like a fun guitar. I’d much rather spec a partscaster or mod a guitar these days. It’s like “Build A Bear” for guitarists.

Average Joe

You've got a guitar you enjoy on your hands. Play that instead of chasing something that may/may not work just as well.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom