Change in using JJ Tubes...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ♫♪♫, Aug 28, 2008.

1. ♫♪♫

♫♪♫ Member

I put a single JJ ECC83 (12ax7) in V1 position of my beloved tube mutilating

MARSHALL DSL...

and behold, the amp sounds way cool...
    Before, with the stock Marshall branded ECC83s, the amp had a very distinct raunchy crunch tone...very crunch.

Now though, with this JJ thing, it sounds less aggressive...the distortion is much smoother...hard to describe. The tone is just generally smoother.
    So what are your experiences with these tubes?

2. mike80

mike80 Member

I love me some JJs. I tend to think their preamp tubes are a bit dark for me, but I still use them in certain spots. I really love their E34Ls.

3. sfdoyle

sfdoyle Member

how about the new Tung Sol 12AX7 preamp tubes...anyone ever compare these to say JJs or ?

the Sovets 12AX7's WB are sweet too...

4. gtr777

gtr777 Supporting Member

I always love the 12ax7lp's in vi. They just have the sound I like.

5. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    I had all JJ's in my preamp and then put a Tung Sol in the v1 spot. Both ways it sounds good... with the Tung Sol in there there is a little more clarity than with the JJ I think... they both sound good but I prefer the Tung Sol for the clean sounds.

6. photios

photios Member

+1

I find the JJ pre's a bit too dark and muffly for my tastes...but the E34L's RAWK:dude

I plan to try me out some JJ 6L6's very soon.

7. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

They rule. I've bought an impacted ass load full of JJ pre's over the years, and only 1 died, and only on 1 side. Great tubes.

8. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I put a full set of JJs in my Mesa F-30. Love them. More crunch, less woof.

9. Audioholic

Audioholic Member

on some amps, JJ's have sucked, loss of clarity. but lately, on my new stuff, they have been working out pretty good, seems to tame an overly bright amp well. Tung sols have more clarity, but don't do a bright amp very well, can get too bright.

10. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Funny you should mention this. I took my Fender red knob twin in for service (some resistors in the output section blew up). I just picked it up today. As part of the service, he cleaned the pots and put in new output tubes, as well as a driver tube. Everything was replaced with JJ's. I tell yah, the amp sounds like a million bucks now. It's by far the best sounding Red Knob Twin I've ever heard.

It seems like JJ's definitely does something to smooth things out. Maybe it's a touch of compression, or less high frequency response. I don't know, but I like it.

And while I'm on the subject, props to Accutech in East Hartford, Connecticut, for taking good care of my twin. The thing's as good as new, or better.

11. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

Love JJ's. The only tubes I buy because they last long and sound great.

12. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    JJs are the best of the current production to0bs at least to my ears. All the preamp tubes kick butt and they are great to tame an overly bright amp. The power tubes sound great, especially the EL84s. I've never had one fail.

Sovteks are the worst I've used and have had several lose vacuum, and a couple of rectifier tubes short out.

13. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

JJ tubes are fine tubes. The stock Marshall branded tubes are Sovteks, and they're not terrible either. If you really want proper tone, get an NOS tube. Philips are smooth and cheap if you want a nice starter tube. I run Mullards in my Marshall, but I also really like the GE short plate 12AX7 I have. Talk about a smooth distortion. I have some Philips and Sylvania tubes too, and they're both very nice.

14. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

I'm a die hard, never gonna change, NOS loving tube snob. That said I absolutely love the JJ 6V6s in my Princeton Reverb. Great sounding, heavy duty tubes.

15. Leo27

Leo27 Member

I tried a JJ in V1 of my Laney GH50L and found that it had much less gain and gave the amp an overall dull tone. I like Chinese Shuguang 9th generation or Tungsol.

16. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    I bought 3 JJ ecc83s tubes... 2 are great... the other one is crap... you might have gotten a bad one like I did. I find the good ones are very good though.

17. Flameout12

Flameout12 Member

+1 On both tubes. I have the Sinos in 2 amps which are both dark. They probably don't do well in brighter amps, but folks can probably tweak this with the knobs.

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Good in bright amps but compared to the good stuff they blur the low end a lot. Seem reliable, borderline good tone.

19. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

Use SED Winged Cs. Best vintage tome el34s out there.

20. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I prefer JJs. The JJs are darker, smoother and rounder than the Tung Sol. In my Badger 18 the Tung Sols had great clarity but sounded brittle with my Strat. I much prefer the JJs.