change my effects order?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rollyfoster, Aug 1, 2008.

1. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

after a pretty long effects hiatus, i've added the ol' pedalboard back into the rig recently. i'm looking for creative ideas on how to line them up since i'm not married to my sound quite yet; it sounds fine, but could it sound better? advantages to changes, disadvantages to how it is now, etc.? i'm mainly wondering about the fuzz and comp. placement

strat (cs '69 pups)>whammy 2 w/ bypass>foxrox modded RMC3>discombobulator>huckleberry>bluesbreaker 2>RAF mirage>TU2>mark 4
    delay and MM4 are in FX loop

pic:

[​IMG]

*toe is true bypass

2. Montez

Montez Member

Rolly,
    Since no one else is jumping in. I'll give you a couple of suggestions.

I personally prefer compression before dirt. At least with the the Mirage(CMP 12:00+/LVL 12:00). Let the compressor overdrive the dirt for smoother sustain on the leads.

Also try moving the Mirage before the autofilter.With the classic comps this would just pop on the attack then nothing. With the Mirage (CMP 10:00-12:00/LVL 12:00-10:00), the envelope is shaped more naturally, just smoothed out...The result is a unique swirly autofilter sound.

3. rollyfoster

cool, thanks for the suggestions!

now i'm thinking:

whammy>wah>huckleberry>mirage>emma>OD

i may put the tuner in the dry out of the whammy, but i may want to keep it in the chain for the buffer

4. Passenger84

Passenger84 Member

Ya, I'd say a/b/c the tuner in the chain at the beginning, out of the chain, and at the end of the chain. Personally I like tuners completely out (even ones with buffers), but others will swear by their TU2's at the beginning or end of their chain.

Also, I don't have experience with the Huckleberry, but fuzzes are such weird animals....it might be fun to experiment with it at the beginning, before the wah, after the wah. Just some thoughts. :)

5. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

yeah, +1 on the placement of the comp.

I find that a comp before an envelope filter makes the effect more consistent, granted there isn't too much compression then it gets quacky.

6. rollyfoster

well, i changed the order and it sounded good. i also discovered something new:

i really like compressors........when other people are using them.

either i've got the wrong compressor or i really just don't need one. i tried all kinds of settings and couldn't find anything usable in the band setting. sounded good by itself but i had to turn it off for a real world setting.

i think i may just get rid of it and get a nice OD pedal.

7. Montez

Montez Member

RollyFoster

P.M.sent...