Change Screamin 'Demon to JB.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tchello, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Tchello

Tchello Member

I have posted on another thread that I have a guitar with Seymour Duncan Screamin 'Demon, that pickup never satisfies me. Weak output, too much mids, etc.
    I have a Seymour Duncan JB in my closet that never gets use. My guitar is a Brian Moore C90F, with mahogany body and a maple top.
    What you think about the JB? It combines well with a mahogany body?
    My neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan 59.

2. wwit

wwit Member

IMHO the Screamin Demon is better suited to a light weight shred guitar then to a mahogony bodied.

The JB is a realy nice pup and should be very articulate. I have a JB in my Dot and love it. no muddiness what so ever and responds nicely to volume changes. Kind of a does it all pickup.

3. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

JB and '59 in a mahogany guitar with a maple top is pretty classic.

4. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

That is the classic setup but also try a Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge or even the C5 with a Dimarzio PAF in the neck.

5. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

not a massive fan of the jb

not trying to second guess the guys who have posted here, but i think it's worth adding some balance. I find it can be muddy (while also piercing), has a massive mid spike, and very much suffers from "jack of all trades, master of none" syndrome. IMO

FiestaRed likes this.
  6. cshelton

cshelton Member

I had a JB and it didn't do a whole lot for me. I actually felt it was more of a one trick pony myself, too much mids. I do however still have my SH-5 and love it. A great rock humbucker. The cleans are good and it responds very well to whatever gain you throw at it. IMHO.

7. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul
    JB to me can be fizzy and has a spongy bottom, for mahogany you should try an SH-5 Duncan Custom, it has a tight bottom with pronounced midrange attack and nice highs.

I've posted about the SH-5 twice in your other thread and got no reponse, the voice of reason has spoken.............:munch

8. dave_mc

dave_mc Member

yep, i should have clarified- although it claims to be able to handle anything, it has this weird thing going on where it's actually less versatile than pickups which, on paper, should be less versatile.

it's like it's never quite right for anything.

it's got a metal output but a rock voicing

9. toomanyamps

toomanyamps Member

I have a SD and the mids are pretty scooped compared to any of the other humbuckers I have. On Seymore Duncan's website it shows the Bass/middle/treble as 5 / 4 / 9. I couldn't find the JB rating on Duncan's website but on another forum I saw a post where someone posted a JB is B/M/T of 5/9/8, and everything I read says the JB is pretty mid heavy.
    I think you are going to have a hard time finding a hotter pickup with less mids than a Screamin' Demon.

10. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

If you think the Screamin Demon has too much midrange, then you will hate the JB. I agree with the others that find that JB fizzy, middy, and unsatisfying....yet anytime someone asks for a pickup for their Strat or LP, people always say JB.

11. hawes

hawes Member

Since you already have it go for it. No money out of your pocket. I have had mixed results with the JB...sometimes it works sometimes it dont. If you want something different try the Screamin Demon in the neck position. I kind of dig it there.

12. stratplexi

stratplexi Member

JB is definitely mid heavy and I don't love it in short scale guitars. I had it in several Hamers years ago and as I say...I didn't love it...I just thought it was acceptable. It may be a lot better in long scale guitars such as superstrats. The Charvels sound pretty awesome on youtube that are using JBs as stock but I suspect the Floyd and longer scale may balance things out some...not sure.

13. ffoont

ffoont Member

Ya got it, try it. Worst that can happen is you don't like it.

14. Felix Leclerc

Felix Leclerc Member

this

15. Tchello

Tchello Member

You have convinced me. I'll try a SH-5 Duncan Custom. The store near my house have one, so let's try it.

16. paulscape

paulscape Member

The SH-5 is a great pickup. I bought a screamin demon years ago and it must have passed through about 5 of my guitars and never sounded great in any of them.

17. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

I dropped an alnico 8 magnet into a Screamin Demon and added screw top pole pieces to fatten it up a bit, Quite a nice pickup now. It's in a PRS SC250.

18. charveldan

charveldan Senior Member

Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul
    Kewl, give it a go, when you wire it, do it this way..........

Red & white...........twist & solder together
    Green & Bare.........solder to back of volume pot
    Black.....................hot wire goes to switch [or hot leg of volume pot].

19. paulscape

paulscape Member

Out of interest, what does this do?

20. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

The JB may be the best pickup made. It's not overly compressed sounding like some of the others. It lets all of the notes ring out.