Changed amps settings, trying to sound like (journo backing)

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by abergdahl, May 15, 2006.

1. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I used the Mystique into a 1*12 loaded with an old alnico Altec speaker. Setting the amp almost clean with a firmer sound than i usually go for. A lot of bass and mid.
    The guitar is the spruce top Chapin Hawk hollow/hybrid. Bridge pu in bucker mode all the way through.
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=60485&songID=3932913

the tone was inspired by one player and the playing by another. Get both right and you can borrow my amp for a recording session :D .

(Some sloppynes might be from a day of hard work killing bugs and small trees and some Oban Superstition as evening relaxation)

2. fig

fig Member

Really nice, abergdahl! Great tone.

Greg

3. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

No guesses on the inspiration. The amp is a hybrid of a early Dumble preamp but with no level for the OD and a EL34 power section. Not that it helps to identify the inspiration.
    The TONE was inspired by a will known Dumble and Two-Rock user the Playing by a AC30, Digitech whammy and Ibanezplayer. Beth these players are known in the Jam band circuit. ;)
    What might make this hard is that i use more OD than the tone inspiration and clearer (more open) sound than my favorite jazz guitar player.

4. Jacob Van Noy

Jacob Van Noy Supporting Member

Kimock for the tone? But you're definitely right about using too much gain if Kimock is the inspiration cause he plays CLEAN. He probably has the greatest pushed clean sound I've ever heard. I don't know who the other inspiration is.

Jacob

5. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Kimock is correct. It was the fullnes of tone that i liked when i listned to some Kimick tracks. The tiltle track of his studio album also have some great lapsteel that is more distorted. But i tried to dail in the full but responsive type of tone that Kimick have and as the evening went along and i had a few Isle of Jura I added some overdrive. I like overdrive :eek:

6. 57tele

57tele Member

Very nice, Anders. Nice playing and real nice tone. I've been monkeying around with my newly acquired Dumblelator lately and find that it also helps a bunch in getting that big clean thing going. 'course, in addition to the big clean thing, Kimock also plays some nasty OD type things. The Little Wing post in this thread reminded me of a nasty version that Kimcok used to do many years afo--check out the old Tone Bender fuzz:

http://triplefret.com/mp3/lwclip2.mp3

7. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Ah that is some nice bite and fat stings:)
    Liked the relaxed feel on top of that slightly busy track.
    Would have sent me into flurry of nomatter notes;)
    Most sweet indeed!
    Niels