Changed picks, massive improvement in picking

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by CharlyG, Jan 21, 2015.

1. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I thought I would be different and when I reintroduced myself to acoustic guitar, I tried a Clayton Wood pick. I liked how it sounded against the strings, and being so stiff, I quickly learned how to brush the strings. I forgot my wood pick yesterday and John lent me a white Fender medium and MAN! In two days a GCD progression with hammer-ons went from maybe hitting half of them to nailing it.

I have used Tolex before but hadn't used a Fender Medium in decades. For some reason that ols clicking sound from the old brown Fender pick is not there with the white one?

Anyways, It's got me all jazzed up to keep on, and not just stick to bass. i have been dabbling with guitar for over 20 years, but never really spent time getting good. NOW,in my retirement, I have no excuses....

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Fender Meds are extremely common.
    They work.

3. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Agree ... used them (the white ones) at one point for many years ...
    Now I've even gone thinner ...

4. JJ Fux

JJ Fux Member

Not to go off topic, but I love those celluloid-like Fender XHs.

And these as well

[​IMG]

5. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I use 3 different picks
    A V-picks Red Rocker for almost all electric
    A V-picks tradition ultra lite for most acoustic
    A .45 mm Tortex if I have to do any fast strumming

6. axeplayer

axeplayer Member

I use medium but spent too much time looking for that perfect pick. Then I tried the V Pick and never looked for anything else. They really do stay between your fingers.

7. stevel

stevel Member

When I bought my acoustic, I decided to try a bunch of picks. I bought a Dunlp variety pack. Out of all of them, with polling my family as well, the Dunlop Jazztone 208 I use on electric sounded great to them and me, but the one I decided on (for agility, lightness, and less chance of breaking strings and tearing up the top) tied in the rankings for best sound between the four of us - the humble celluloid "351" style - the "Fender Medium".

8. dewey decibel

dewey decibel Member

we eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of beer
    Well if you're strumming a lot it helps to have a pick with some "give" to it.

That's exactly what I'm back to, just sounds and feels right, and works for everything. In the studio I might mess around with others for different sounds but I use the Fender medium 351s for everything live.