Changed strings and....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Doodad, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Doodad

Doodad Member

now the low E rattles? Why is that? I put factory strings on them. I was shocked as well on how worn the frets are getting already after a couple of years.

2. Brien

Brien Member

It's hard to say what your problem is without knowing exactly what you mean by rattle. Where is it rattling? Behind the nut? First few frets and open? All over? Probably just a minor setup tweak, like a truss rod adjustment. Are they the same gauge strings? My first guess without knowing more is your truss rod is too tight, and the new brighter strings are making it more noticeable.

3. Doodad

Doodad Member

Sorry I should have been clearer. Rattles on the first few frets and open. Same guage string, but different brand if that would do it. Factory brand.

It seems better today, but still different. The setup is spot on (or was). It hardly went out of tune and could be tuned to dead on.

4. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

A couple of supportive ideas....
    1. Different brands/manufacturers have different string 'builds'. Core and outer wrap can be a bit different, as well as material quality. A hex core will vibrate differently, and it will variate tension-wise.
    2. If you take off all your strings at once as opposed to individually or first three/last three, it can throw off your neck tension a bit (especially if there's temp and/or humidity change going on).

If you're a low-action/E-Z player type (like me), switching from DR to DM Blue Steels will be noticeable & might need a tweak. Time to talk shop with your favorite tech/luthier and strike a balance.

5. Doodad

Doodad Member

Family is up now so I could bang a little harder. It is the E and A especially mid fretboard. I really had to do them all at once, one broke and the others were shot. I did it fairly quickly though if that makes any difference. I wanted to clean the fretboard as well.

6. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

I always remove all strings when I change mine and it has never had any impact on the neck, so forget that.

Did you accidentally hit the bridge? Easy to do on a TOM type bridge.
    Did you stretch the strings out?

Personally I never judge new strings until they have had a few days to settle in and get played in a bit so don't go too crazy yet.

7. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

'Sounds' like a slight truss rod adjustment.
    If you rubbed any lemon oil or fretboard cleaner into the wood, it might've been dry and expanded a bit as well. If you use thicker guage strings, the loss of tension could've thrown it off as well as the change of brand (with it's inherent characteristics). Give it a day, and if there's no improvement head over to your tech & have him/her give it a nudge with the 'ole allen wrench.

8. Doodad

Doodad Member

I just used elbow grease on the fretboard. Cloth and thumb.

String guage was the same as before and factory spec strings (Fender Bullets).

Thanks for the replies. I can't (almost) believe I can even screw up a string change. What a klutz.

9. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Nah, I don't think anythings screwed up bud, new strings have a lot more brillance and high end, you will hear a lot more buzz/rattle than old ones. And if you're strings were real dead, then they'd be real mellow sounding and that's why you didn't notice the buzz.

Turn up the amp and if it doesn't come through the amp, I wouldn't worry about it. A lot of times you hear it acoustically but it never makes it through the speaker.

10. wrightdude

wrightdude Supporting Member

Is it fret "buzz" or a "rattle" in the neck? If a "rattle" in the neck I second the notion it could be a loose truss rod.... that happens from time to time... NDB if it is, just snug it up and check the relief.....

11. Doodad

Doodad Member

12. guitarfish

guitarfish Member

Loosen the string and check the slot in the nut. I had a prob like you're describing once, and it was from a small piece of debris lodged in the nut slot. You never know.

13. 8Painting

8Painting Member

This usually happens to my guitars, then it'll go away usually about an hour after I start playing.

I'd sit tight, see how it is.

You should be fine.

14. Doodad

Doodad Member

Did you stretch the strings out?

I am thinking this is the answer. I did have those two strings over tightened when I went to tune the guitar. If in two days it is not better, I will change those strings. The others were not too tight so that does make sense.