Changed the bridge and tuners and lost the sustain--what have I done?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dnauhei, Feb 3, 2012.

1. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

I swapped a fender bridge plate for another fender bridge plate. I changed one set of Clusons for another set. The only difference is the amount of aging on the metal. No the strings, particularly the high e and b strings sound muffled when played open. And when I play a little harder I get kind of a "thunk" or a "spank" which I do not dig. The action is plenty high--a little too high. What is going on here?

2. Stringrazor

Stringrazor Member

Did you change the saddles too? If so, put the old ones back on. Did you do anything at all to the nut or did anything about the nut change when you did the mods? Is this a Tele or a Strat?

3. dnauhei

dnauhei Member

I did not touch the nut. I did change the saddles, yes. This is a tele and I am using compensated brass saddles.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  4. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

Brass saddles really warm a tele up.

5. kimock

kimock Member

Different bridge plate, saddles, action height and tuners?

6. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

Change it back.

One time I changed my brass volume and tone knobs for a couple of plastic ones. I lost some sustain. I could hardly believe it. So I changed them back and the tone came back. That's just the way it is. We musicians can hear these things.

7. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Look at the new saddles. Run your finger over the slots if there are any. Any burs? I say change the saddles and see what happens. Only one thing at a time till you nail it down. Sometimes what's best is to not fix something that works.