Changes coming for Reverb.com?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Meriphew, Feb 27, 2020.

1. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

The idea this will be beneficial for those who sell 10k+ and they can't opt out is silly. Apparently, they are already doing pretty good business, so I doubt they need advertised. And 12%? Lol.

Vhailor and REDFIVE like this.
  2. jdogric12

jdogric12 Supporting Member

I've long since suspected these large electronic platforms are less interested in the "longtail" of the business and make profit much more efficiently off large sellers. Ebay moved that way years ago. Etsy seems to have done so, too. Now that Reverb answers to Wall Street, think of it this way: it costs Reverb a lot more to have 10 individuals selling 1 guitar a month each than it does to just have one CME selling 200 or whatever. I could even see Guitar Center eventually listing their stuff on Reverb, because why not?

I sense the folks at Reverb are cool enough to resist that change when it comes, and if that's the case, I hope they succeed, as it won't be easy.

stagolee, grendel, webs and 1 other person like this.
  3. webs

webs Member

A warning sign isn't the danger itself. This is a warning sign.

Etsy isn't making changes just for funsies, and a move in an unfriendly direction from the mothership signals that Reverb may be next. Not necessarily, but it's not hard to see why this might be concerning. eBay didn't wake up one day and ruin everything, it was a slow process and this sure feels like a replay of the same slow decline.

Vhailor likes this.
  4. danoverb

danoverb Member

For sure, I understand what you're saying. I guess I would just ask everyone to make their judgements based on things that actually hit the site and affect the buying and selling experience, not just predictions is all.

JackVanPage, Jerrod, Flatscan and 3 others like this.
  5. shredmiyagi

shredmiyagi Member

With the used tax rates that have caught up with almost every state, and inevitable rate bumps, Reverb will be a complete **** show in a year. Matter of time- the changes always start trickling in gradually after new, bigger ownership.

I know that corporations and government can't help themselves from trying to collect more on transactions, but the reality is that the used music market was in a healthy place the past 3 years. People who sell a lot of crap and don't lose like maniacs also buy new stuff a lot (and then decide to sell it, and people less inclined to buy are tempted by the 15-30% off buying used).

Now, a $450 new purchase turns into a $300 "mint" sale / used earning, because you have to list it low enough to tempt a buyer with the 10% tax, the raised shipping rates, and now more fees coming up. Both sides are more reluctant to buy new, buy used and to sell. Sell 4 mint condition expensive pedals, the buyer saves a measly $50 or so on each purchase, and after all the sales and fees, the seller could've probably purchased a new Strymon pedal with the money lost in the transactions. Let alone expensive guitars.

I realize this was out of the .coms power (although, then again, they have a lot of lobby power)... But the government's decision to tax used purchases was a big mistake. Adding any additional rates on that will be ludicrous, but the down-turn has already begun.

On the micro level I don't care that much, they can raise the fees as they want. I'm just gonna buy and sell way less. I used to open Reverb every day to keep an eye open, splitting focus between selling gear, buying new stuff, and buying cool affordable vintage stuff. Honestly, I think I've checked Reverb twice since the new year. I'm not even beginning to bother buying a $1400 guitar for like... $1100 + tax with no warranty, paying $100 shipping, and then not having a return option. Similarly, I understand why no one is ****ing around with my listings, cause I'm asking too much, because frankly I don't want to sell my gear unless I have to make ends meet.

This mentality isn't gonna be unique to me, everybody else is gonna be feeling it. And it ain't just the guitar market. On the macro level, this is the kinda stuff that signals/enhances recessions once it catches up with all the sectors, which is a bummer.

Long live the forum trade-posts!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    dshobe, DanGibbs, Surf Sloth and 3 others like this.
  6. apalazzolo

apalazzolo Supporting Member

Good point. We should judge Etsy, I mean Reverb, on the changes that are already here.

For example, good luck trying to return to Reverb an item that arrives broken. You may find it impossible.

Guess how much commission Etsy, I mean Reverb, makes on return of a $1000 broken item.

Now guess how much it makes if it successfully strong-arms a seller into coughing up a $50 discount and strong-arms you into taking it. And guess how much Etsy, I mean Reverb, makes if it pretends the video it forced you to make (proving the damage) doesn't prove any damage at all.

I have already closed my Etsy, I mean Reverb, account.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    Blue Marvel and DanGibbs like this.
  7. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

I'm using Firefox from my desktop PC, and I see the dates listed at Reverb. All of my watched items have a listed date. What browser are you guys using that doesn't list the date?

[​IMG]

8. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

My buying and selling on Reverb has significantly reduced since they implemented the sales tax laws.

The added sales tax bumps the used price up close enough to the new price that it's not worth the few bucks savings. Most of the sellers refuse to lower their prices to account for tax.

When I can still find the items at a small mom and pop who gives me free shipping and no tax on a new item for a few percent more than the used item cost on Reverb, why would I buy used.

I realize it's a law and not their fault... but.

Paying sales tax on a used item that already had sales tax collected on it when it was sold new is just robbery. Craigslist here I come...

Oops did I go off on a tangent... yeah, Etsy, bad stuff, ok carry on.

stagolee, Viking999, dshobe and 8 others like this.
  9. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Moderation is key Staff Member Supporting Member

Welp, that would be the final straw for me w/ Reverb. There's zero chance I'm going to list something for sale on there if they're going to try and auto-charge a double-digit fee. I'll just go back to the Emporium and even eBay is less expensive than that.

Honestly though, it won't matter, b/c that's the moment another business person will say, "Oh look, Reverb.com's new corporate overlords have decided to destroy their customer base unnecesarily. I'll just open a new music sales website with their original policies, and everyone will just migrate over there in the next 2 months..."

The only thing keeping Reverb in their position is their fee structure. eBay gets more traffic. If they raise their fees above that, or even approach eBay, I'd rather just go and have more traffic on eBay.

Abram4235, dshobe, DanGibbs and 4 others like this.
  10. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

I probably won't google flanger.com...!!
    (Might just be a joke for the UK crowd - not sure how international that slang is :p)

soma likes this.
  11. Steely Glen

Steely Glen Supporting Member

I have a pretty high end collection so selling 3 or 4 guitars in 12 months would break the $10K mark for me. Not to mention vintage amps, pedals, etc.

That’s not exactly a benchmark figure that I’d associate only with proper “retailers.”

I’ve really curtailed my Reverb use since the sales tax thing.

For buying, I can usually just scope out the ad, look up the shop online and call in the purchase. Using PayPal or my credit card, I get similar levels of buyer protection without the hassle. And often it’s cheaper.

For selling, I’ll use the Classifieds here more often.
    Another online vendor will come along and bury Reverb.

12. jacklickson

jacklickson Member

We’re using browsers that are were invented in years starting with 2.

JoeBatadatz likes this.
  13. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

People expect the worst, and plan for it. There is wisdom is that.

Somewhat surprisingly, the 8.8875% that my state charges has had a bigger effect on my purchasing than I would have expected. But since there's sales tax when I buy it, and sales tax when I sell it, my ability to buy a pedal and sell it onward for a minimal loss if I don't really need it for the long-term has really deteriorated.

I wonder to what degree this has effected both Reverb and Ebay.

jvin248 and foxyguitars like this.
  14. jpastras

jpastras Supporting Member

On a somewhat related note, I still don’t understand why listing here is my greatly preferred over listing with Reverb. The emporium used to be a great place to buy and sell, and stuff moved, no fees but PayPal. And honestly, I started using this site back when you did not have to be a member to list or view listings, and folks would often request payment in USPS MO, and everything always went smoothly.
    These days, people just need to come down to earths tiny bit on pricing, and the emporium would be the unbeatable way to go.

mumbleswitch likes this.
  15. CloneTone

CloneTone Member

Is that why your browser doesn't display the date listed?

Befuddled, stratadp and Jdstrat like this.
  16. Jaji

Jaji Member

wah.com won't work, either. It sounds like a bunch of cry babies. Probably all riding bad horsies.

DanGibbs likes this.
  17. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Old site layout. It's changed and looks like ****.

18. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

Right now if you bump your products up the maximum amount the fee with the payment processing charge will ad up to 11%. Last year they raised the maximum fees from 9.5% to 11%. I certainly hope that they do not raise the prices again this year.

19. LordThurisaz

LordThurisaz Member

Or make it so you can't opt out. The idea it'll benefit places that already seem to do decent business is absurd.

20. motokev

motokev Member

BACK TO EBAY

misterg71, timbuck2 and ford like this.