Changes coming to HBO?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Motterpaul, Jul 8, 2018.

1. p-ninety

p-ninety Member

They do indeed suck. And, with too few exceptions, executives are dweebs.

Yeah, HBO brought us some pretty fair content for a couple of decades, but it was mostly back in the day. They've since shot themselves in the foot with stupid content decisions (what to make; what not to make) and have lost their mojo as a provider of preemo content.

Who needs HBO when there's Prime and Netflicks?

Eff 'em.

2. rsm

rsm Member

this is true for the ~150 that were in the room.

I'm living this dream (nightmare?) now. the first warning shot was fired across my bow last week; the writing is on the wall. our new exec is working his way down and across the org chart. anyone who's been here more than 5 years seems to be a target for elimination. I'm contemplating my options. A few VPs I know are already gone, others are on their way out; essentially my prospects internally are disappearing as well.

fun rumor: rumor has it they want to keep the headcount and refill the positions with people the new exec knows, so a layoff / force reduction is not likely; that leaves the HR process. Not sure how this works or will go down as I'm not in HR. It seems that management can redefine/change expectations for roles and without a need to communicate those to the employee, yet the employee is expected to meet these unknown expectations which are being retroactively applied to our past work.

what I find interesting, is that a similar organizational change was made several years ago by a now long gone exec (though it was not applied to the past, it was for the new fiscal year going forward); it decimated our tactical business (lost many of our top sales people as a result) and the strategic business initiatives that were key to the success of the new model never materialized at a sustainable/substantial level to make it successful.

early retirement is looking better each day; I may do some freelance / 1099 work if the alternatives inside or outside the company don't pan out.

p-ninety and A-Bone like this.
  3. p-ninety

p-ninety Member

This is what it was like in sillyconvalley in 2001, 2, and 3, when the tech bubble collapsed.

Many of us survived, but not in any of the ways we thought at the time.

Evolution is painful, and inevitable.

rsm and A-Bone like this.
  4. mikebat

mikebat Member

HBO was not available in Canada for many years. Re-broadcasts of censored versions of the Sopranos showed up on our network TV. When it was finally available to us, I subscribed and we binge watched a ton of old favorite series. It, and Showtime (which is not yet available directly, but is rebroadcast through a Netflix-like streamer called "Crave") are so superior to regular US (and without question any Canadian) drama series. They don't even come close. CSI...are you serious? Feature films, as in those shown in theaters, they have evolved into simple drivel. Premium cable is the only flowing source of good drama.

So...if HBO goes down the tubes because they just want to fill up the airwaves with bland "content"....I would be upset, and really struggle to find a new avenue to get my fix.

p-ninety likes this.
  5. scott58

scott58 Member

I get HBO. I'll wait and see. It's almost like we're seeing an end game where AT&T and Disney own everything.

6. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I think that is what we're seeing.

Tonekat, p-ninety and scott58 like this.
  7. Alchemist XP

Alchemist XP Silver Supporting Member

With over 140 million worldwide subscribers, HBO is not likely to go down the tubes anytime soon.

mikebat likes this.
  8. rsm

rsm Member

yes, lived through that too, but I was younger, and there were many more options for me back then than now.

p-ninety likes this.
  9. Alchemist XP

^^^^^^^^^^ This!

It is the condensing and consolidating of wealth and power into fewer and fewer corporate decision makers.

Tonekat and smiert spionam like this.
  10. scott58

scott58 Member

I was just thinking, I've got over a thousand dvds and if I ever got tired of all the carp and turned off everything including Wi-Fi the only thing I'd miss is TGP. Weird yeah?

A-Bone likes this.
  11. rangerkarlos

rangerkarlos Member

And make the world a better place

A-Bone and Fred Farkus like this.
  12. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Is HBO showing The Sopranos and The Wire again?

I've been a HBO subscriber for a long time. I like most of their original series, but at the same time it seems like HBO is an older format that needs updating somehow. I don't do streaming or Youtube TV but i've been around it.....watch what you want when you want to watch it makes a lot of sense but at the same time seems foreign to me as well.......

13. p-ninety

p-ninety Member

Understood.

My own evolution was pretty humbling and lasted longer than I ever thought it might.

Hang on, and hang in, brother.

rsm likes this.
  14. mikebat

mikebat Member

:) NetFlix Canada doesn't have the same product offerings, although it has improved since last I was a subscriber

It used to be a bunch of direct to video movies with Corey Haim types.

Still...while that is an option, it isn't as good as it is for you guys.

Fred Farkus likes this.
  15. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

If they bring back "Vinyl", it'll be all good to me.

16. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

Mangy71 and 4inchjones like this.
  17. Dirty_Tones

Dirty_Tones Member

Yup...wishful thinking for sure. And also quite a polarizing show, at that. I recognize that it wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

A-Bone likes this.
  18. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Bulleted highlights, no more than ten.

A-Bone likes this.
  19. Alchemist XP

Ideally, 3-5 ...

And catchy ... yeah, make em catchy and snazzy.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    art_z and aiq like this.
  20. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Member

I'm 31, haven't had cable in 3 or 4 years. I don't watch much TV, but subscribe to HBO now for $15 and netflix. I religiously watch Vice news everyday while making dinner, their weekly report, john oliver usually on monday night, Bill Maher over the weekend and usually keep up with at least one show at a time. Sharp Objects looks pretty cool

I really don't want them to do anything any different, except maybe promote hbo now more

2HBStrat likes this.