changing a baffle....

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by crimson on pink, Feb 14, 2008.

1. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

hello there, i'm just wondering how hard it would be to change a 2x15's baffle to a 4x12 baffle. i love my guild 2x15 cab that i bought off dr. tweedbucket on here, but i found another one that's been modified for 1 12" speaker and 1 15" speaker and it's rated at 16 ohms and the one i have now is 8 ohms. so i plan to change out the speakers. what i'd like to do is run 1 with 2x15's(leave the one i have now alone) and switch the baffle to make the new one a 4x12, since i'm going to have to open her up and switch stuff around in her. thanks. i'll try to get the dimensions up so that will help. i looked around for the standard 60's guild thunderbass 2x15 dimensions but had no luck. or should i change it to a 2x12" cab? i would perfer 4x12 but if it's not possible then can i do a 2x12? thanks. look forward to the wisdom i always find on here.

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

It's usually not too hard to swap baffles. The big question is usually is there enough space for the amount of speakers. You usually need a bare minimum of about one inch all the way around each speaker, so figure you need about 27 or 28 inches both horizontally and vertically. If the baffle is that big already, you should be fine.

3. crimson on pink

40" high x 27" wide x 11 7/8" deep i believe these are the dimensions. how would i go about finding someone to make these baffles. i'd like to do 2 12"s on each side. ideally. but can work with what i have.

4. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

The other option is to ask a local tech or amp builder.

6. crimson on pink

how hard would it to do by myself?

7. doctord02

doctord02 Member

do you have access to a wood working shop? At a minimum you need a tablesaw and a jigsaw, and the ability to make true square cuts and true round holes...

8. crimson on pink

oh yeah.... haha. actually, my boss's dad is a woodworker. i'll ask him about it. if not, i'll have my tech do it. or maybe just leave well enough alone.