• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

changing humbucker in my 1-humbucker strat to a......

spookyelectric

Silver Supporting Member
P90! A Duncan Phat Cat, more specifically.

I've been using a Dimarzio PAF Pro for a good medium output, cleaner sounding humbucker for clean and distorted stuff in my alder hardtail strat w/ maple fretboard and a single 500K volume pot.

Overall I've been pretty happy. I've tried a few other medium/low output pickups in it and nothing's sounded better than the PAF Pro, so it always ends up staying. I ended up getting a Duncan Phat Cat for a good deal recently, so I thought I might go that route and see if I can get something a little brighter and ruder sounding than what the PAF Pro is giving me.

Anyone else using a P90 in the bridge slot on their strat? How does it compare to a regular strat bridge pickup or a humbucker?

stratter

They hum a lot more, so unless you already have it shielded, you'd have to shield it. If we're talking P-90's now, I presume the Duncan Phat Cat is humbucker sized? If not, you'd need a new pickguard because humbuckers are slightly more rectangle-like. P-90's are thinner and longer. I've had great luck with the Gibson P-94.

Also, P-90's would be much brighter, so I would put in some bigger caps if you want the tone pot to work as effectively. You'd get more of a brighter tone, but not as beefy, as the P-90 is a single coil at heart, and the HB is two single coils stuck together. You'd get a nasty tone with an overdrive.

Average Joe

The Pc's is certainly clearer, brighter, snappier and less bassy than a comparable humbucker. I love them in the neck position but have mixed feelings about the bridge. The characteristics I mentioned are good Things in my book, but sometimes I feel they lack a but of girth. Nothing wrong with the sound per se, just a Little lacking in the mids for my preferences

spookyelectric

Silver Supporting Member
They hum a lot more, so unless you already have it shielded, you'd have to shield it. If we're talking P-90's now, I presume the Duncan Phat Cat is humbucker sized? If not, you'd need a new pickguard because humbuckers are slightly more rectangle-like. P-90's are thinner and longer. I've had great luck with the Gibson P-94.

Also, P-90's would be much brighter, so I would put in some bigger caps if you want the tone pot to work as effectively. You'd get more of a brighter tone, but not as beefy, as the P-90 is a single coil at heart, and the HB is two single coils stuck together. You'd get a nasty tone with an overdrive.
I have the guard and all the routing shielded w/ copper foil and conductive shielding paint, so it's set up to be as quiet as I can make it. I'm used to tele bridge pickup hum, so hopefully P90 hum in this particularly well-shielded strat won't be too bad.

Yep, the Phat Cat is humbucker sized, so no worries there.

spookyelectric

Silver Supporting Member
The Pc's is certainly clearer, brighter, snappier and less bassy than a comparable humbucker. I love them in the neck position but have mixed feelings about the bridge. The characteristics I mentioned are good Things in my book, but sometimes I feel they lack a but of girth. Nothing wrong with the sound per se, just a Little lacking in the mids for my preferences
I'm going to try the Phat Cat w/ the stock A2 magnets in it to see how it sounds. The PAF Pro isn't particularly bassy in the bridge position anyway, but I'm prepared for a more single-coil level of bass response out of the Phat Cat. If it ends up sounding too anemic w/ the stock magnets, I have an A8/A4 combo that I can drop into it. That should add a little girth :)

If I end up needing a tone pot added due to brightness, I can go with 500K or 250K for the pot value, and most likely a .047 tone cap so I have a wide range of roll off available.

Trending Topics