changing necks on a strat?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by auffredou, Feb 11, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

ive never considered this before, but is it easy? is there any where to buy necks besides ebay? just curious, the thing that brought up the idea was the prospect of maybe finding a 57 reissue neck to put on an 80s american standard. can you even find those necks? how expensive would they be? just wondering if its worth looking into.

2. auffredou

auffredou Member

3. pedalfreek

pedalfreek Member

You can order necks to your specs from a variety of places these days....

www.warmoth.com
    www.usacustomguitars.com (tommy is an awesome guy, very friendly and super helpful!!)

two places ive used and recommend

4. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Changing necks ain't hard; making a neck fit properly may or may not be a snap. I put the neck from a 1st year SRV Strat on a (almost) brand new Eric Johnson Strat. That mating went way too smoothly - neither the intonation nor the string height needed adjusting. Once strings were on the guitar for about a 1/2 hour and thoroughly stretched, the guitar played flawlessly. That said, I've put necks on Strats and had to struggle: shims required in the neck pocket, truss rod adjustment, intonation, string height, and worst possible - the neck holes didn't align with the body holes...
    Typically you'd only encounter the need for minor intonation and/or string-height adjustment in a neck swap. That's not too bad really. I'd also give the neck a few days to settle in before making a judgment as to how it sounds. For whatever reason, a Strat's parts seem to need a bit of time to settle after a neck swap - different tension and loads on necks and their truss rods, tuners, trem assembly, etc. It takes a bit of time and some playing before it all sets in place. Odd, but in my experience true....
    As they say - your mileage may vary

Peace,
    (and good luck)

jb

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I've also used www.musikraft.com. Both my Teles have solid rosewood Musikraft necks, and I couldn't be happier.

If you're not in a hurry, you can often find nearly-new necks here in the Emporium, on the TDPRI, or the WeberVST boards, and save a big chunk of money, in the process.

Parts guitars are a LOT of fun to build/tweak, and you can spec out everything exactly as you want them.

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

I recently swapped necks on my '86 Strat. I went with
    a USACG '54 and wow, it really transformed the guitar!
    It feels like a custom shop strat now. I got the 1/4 sawn maple neck with vintage tint and 6125 frets, plus abalone dots.
    You can order it exactly how you want it.
    Also, I put in Fralins Blues Specials some time back. Next, it will probably be a Callaham bridge.
    But the new neck was the best idea ever.

7. auffredou

auffredou Member

thanks for the responses guys. what about an actual fender neck? can you only get them secondhand, and therefore have to order the ones like these from other companies with nothing on the headstock?

8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe Member

You can find a fender decal on fleabay, and they
    will install it for you. Problem solved. That's what I did.
    My USACG neck, to me, beats any fender neck I have ever played, custom shop included.

9. Dave Orban

Yep. AND, they come in more flavors, so you can really fine-tune your axe to your personal preferences.

10. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Bought a fully finished Warmoth Conversion neck (one piece maple)
    & it fit perfectly into my strat ..

So perfectly, that I didn't even have to adjust the action,
    & only had to intonate the high E string ....
    It went so smoothly I almost couldn't accept that it could be so easy

11. Dave Orban

LOL! I know... first time I considered it, I was really apprehensive. Now, ALL of my bolt-neck guitars are parts guitars. And they all play and sound GREAT!

12. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

My experience was very different. Every time I tried to mess around changing necks I never "got there" and never kept any of the guitars. Better off to find a guitar you love everything about and buy it, imho.

Sorry to be the voice of dissension. I'm just tryin' to bring balance to the force...

13. Dave Orban

Well, good setup can make or break a guitar. The way a nut is cut or the way frets are dressed... pickups, hardware, all of the little details... Took me a long time to figure that one out.

So, I guess I've been lucky... ;)

14. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I feel ya, but I'm not talking about setup, I'm just talking about tone and vibe. They just never cut it.

That said, I'm thinking about building me a partso-tele/strat-ish guitar very soon. Already collecting obscure parts. I have a powerbridge for it and bought a used Anderson H2+ for the lead position. Just don't have the dough yet to complete it, so maybe I'll either prove my previous experience wrong or be throwing money away. Either way, I promise to have fun!