Changing picks during sets

Gas Hed

Does anyone change picks depending on the song you are playing? I'm going to try it for the first time tonight. There is a song where strummed palm mutes just sound better with .60mm thickness vs. my normal .90mm. I don't know why I've been so rigid all these years (no pun intended). But so what if I change picks, right? Curious if there are others out there.

willyboy

Silver Supporting Member
absolutely. for me I use thick 3mm for electric and for acoustic I'll use 1mm or slightly thinner

27sauce

I do. I inherited the previous guitarist’s picks, which are 1.14. I use them on songs I have a chance to throw them out into the audience. Maybe 3 or 4 songs a set. I use my size(.88) for the rest of the set. If we play an acoustic song I use .60.

Last edited:

Gclef

I have a set of picks I use.

Dunlop gator 2mm is the standard
Ernie ball prodigy 2mm for sharper sounds
Dunlop tortex 1.35 MM in regular and smaller jazz style for something different.

And this ONE guitar store Tub pick (heavy) in an abalone color. I've had it for 20 years and break it out on occasion for nostalgic purposes

HTSMetal

Absolutely, depending on the type of guitar. With electrics it's Max Grip Jazz III's, but those are way too thick for playing acoustic so I'll swap over to Dunlop Nylon .60s. For bass I'll use something like Fender celluloid heavy.

Captainruss

Platinum Supporting Member
Ultex 1.40 for all my electric picking. I am able to adjust the angle of my attack for the desired results.

fjrabon

If I’m singing And strumming I’ll use a fender medium because you can get away with murder with a fender medium strumming wise. I also play them almost 100% if I’m playing acoustic unless it’s something where I’m doing a lot of flat picked leads.

otherwise I use the petrucci flow purple picks.

Average Joe

I do that all the time. My goto pick is something hard, often a Jazz III or a Dunlop Flow. But we play enough disco etc where strumming is the order of the day. I switch to something more flexible for those tunes

edwarddavis

Gold Supporting Member
I would but I’d need a extra van to bring it to gigs
59 guitars and one pick is all I need

MikeMcK

Gold Supporting Member
If I have time between songs I'll switch to a celluloid 351-sized Cool Pick for acoustic, Jazz III for electric. For me it's about sound and, call me crazy, but I do think the Cool Picks sound better than current Fender 351s.

Lesson learned: I was in a nice studio tracking strummed acoustic guitar for someone else's EP. The artist heard the acoustic and described a particular record on which the acoustic sounded like what he wanted. The owner/engineer, who can make anything sound great, said, "I got it" and came out into the tracking room. I thought he'd head for his massive vintage mic locker, but instead he handed me a thin pointy pick and showed me where he wanted me to strum. Nailed it, too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom