Changing pickups on an American Professional II Telecaster Deluxe?

MogwaiBoy

Lots of bubbles when he wax potted? Well, that means either Fender did a dud job or they are "lightly wax potted" like the first gen V-Mods. Would not be surprised if that was the case.

Even if you do replace the pickups, it's really good to have that info that re-waxing them fixed the squeal. I feel like there's going to be a lot people who go through this, and at least we can offer them some solid advice.

I'll let you know how the Bare Knuckles sound in the guitar when I get it back.

xmd5a

I've had the same problem with various replacement Gretsch pickups. All you have to do is cut a thicker piece of plastic into a rectangle, attach the plastic to the leg of the new pickup, anyway you want to do it, and then thread the existing screws through the piece of plastic. Plastic is soft enough that you don't even have to tap or thread it, just punch a hole that's roughly as white as the screw and force it in. Using metal for this purpose or even buying a whole new pick is overkill, considering how easy it is to remedy in minutes, with scrap plastic and wire cutters.

Matty_K

That is a great suggestion re the plastic for an existing pickguard. I'm looking primarly to change the pickguard due for aesthetics.

Which sounds like I am going to have to get custom made not just for screw holes but also for colours :(

RafaPqr

Lots of bubbles when he wax potted? Well, that means either Fender did a dud job or they are "lightly wax potted" like the first gen V-Mods. Would not be surprised if that was the case.

Even if you do replace the pickups, it's really good to have that info that re-waxing them fixed the squeal. I feel like there's going to be a lot people who go through this, and at least we can offer them some solid advice.

I'll let you know how the Bare Knuckles sound in the guitar when I get it back.
Hi MogwaiBoy!
Did you get to play The Tele Deluxe with the Bare Knuckles? Which did you choose? I heard the Stormy Monday and... Wow!

MogwaiBoy

Hi MogwaiBoy!
Did you get to play The Tele Deluxe with the Bare Knuckles? Which did you choose? I heard the Stormy Monday and... Wow!

No, not yet! The luthier still has my guitar - and he said he'd need at least a few weeks, due to a backlog I think.

Muchly looking forward to it though :)

415Guitars

Looking forward to your update and perhaps a link to the shop (if appropriate). Facing a similar scenario

MogwaiBoy

Just saw this seller with pickguards on ebay

That's the guy I bought mine from!

Luthier has had my guitar for over a month now - has a huge backlog. So I still have nothing to report yet. Some others who have gone ahead with this may be able to comment first.

Rhomco

Making UPS, FEDEX and USPS richer every day!
Gold Supporting Member
Back to the ringing "G" string. Sounds like the break angle behind the nut is either to high or you are winding the string to high up on the tuner shaft. Try rewinding the string down low. If the nut slot is not angled down it can cause the same problem. Good luck with your project,
Rob

Trending Topics

Top Bottom