Changing Power Cables

FuzzHead89

I bought a Vox-combo from the US, and it had the standard US-power cable, which I switches with a eurpoean one. But now, my amp won't even turn on. Anyone knows what might be wrong?

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
um, voltage.
US amps run on US voltage.
Does the Vox have a switch on the back to run on European voltage?

Braciola

Gold Supporting Member
No, it does not. So I can't use it with an european power cable, then?
I believe the voltage in Europe is 220 volts.
The cable is not the problem, the amp's transformer is only wired to accept US voltage of 110/120.

The voltage in the USA is 120v. In Europe it is 230v. Hopefully it will have just blown a fuse somewhere, but it could have caused more serious damage in the amp.

For a long term solution - there could be a wiring change that can be done inside the amp, or you can get an external transformer to convert 230 to 120.

FuzzHead89

Ok, I think I got it now... So that means that I have got to fix the voltage problem in the amp itself before I can use it here?

Keep in mind that the amp may have been damaged by trying to run it on double voltage. I don't think it will suddenly start working when you do give it the correct voltage. If nothing else, a fuse will have blown. You may need a technician to take a look at it.

ekkybedmond

Ehm, hard to believe someone not knowing US voltage differs from ROCW

but hey, enough good advise was provided here already

logdrum

Ehm, hard to believe someone not knowing US voltage differs from ROCW

but hey, enough good advise was provided here already
Actually many other RestOf(the)CivilizedWorld uses 120V Japan Taiwan Canada and many countries have dual voltage

old goat

It's surprising to me how many consumer electronics products--stuff that uses a transformer already, like laptops, tablets, phone--are able to charge at either 110 or 220. But not your hairdryer (or your amp).

J M Fahey

Japan has 100V ;)

Anyway that's not the main point.

fuzzyhead89 does not state what model Vox it is.

Most don't have dual voltage option, a few do.

Which one is it?

stinkfoot

There's a label on the back that states which mains voltage it is designed for, and the amp doesn't seem to have a voltage selector (at least not one that the user can change). You'd need to take it to a tech and have it checked out - if you're really lucky, the mains transformer has a 230v input as well, and it's merely a rewire job + replace the mains fuse with the correct (for 230v) value. If not, you'll need to use a step-down transformer (like this one: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-230v-to-110v-300w-voltage-converter-vr05f). And the tech still needs to check it out, in case you damaged something when feeding it twice the mains voltage it was expecting.

Trending Topics